Upgrading my Alternator..... (dead horse beat beat)

bobhope
10+ year member

mi
yes i know its probably been asked before but i searched and searched and cant come up with anything in the forums... anyways does anyone have some links to good websites with higher output alternators for a neon? any help would be apprciated thanks in advance

wathc out on the alternator...depending on what brand etc it may not fit fyour aplication...may over rev...may not put out enough at idle etc a good 125-150 alternator will have a wider amp range than the 200.

GF7PE :

please elaborate a little bit as i don't fully grasp the entire concept of an alternator, ok i get that different alternators put out different amp's at different rpms (one things i should be careful of) but how many amp alternator at what rpm's should i be looking at for a 1200 watt rms amp (jbl 1200.1) and my regular car electronics, I kinda of want to replace the whole thing so i can take it out and return the car to stock when i want to sell the car.

Thanks in advance

well it gets tricky with cars and not trucks because cars are more limited to optional alternators. I would assume that you like to park and listen to your music, if so you should look for an amp that puts out alot at idle. If you like to redline the car all the time like most 4 bangers then you need one that can accept the rpm that you would run it. You dont really want to spin the alternator more than 17000 rpm. If you dont gas it all the time then there are more options, you can change the pulley size and and make the alternator spin faster at lower motor rpm. This is another reason why the performance guys change their pulleys, they dont need the low idle amperage but they rev the hell out of the motor so the need to make sure the alternator spins slower. Albeit there are probably alternators available that can handle 17000+ and still provide lots of power but they will likely caost a lot more. As far as what you should look for, 100-130amp alternator should work nicely, I am guessing you stocker puts out 70. Also if you change the wire that goes from the alt to bat to a #6 this will also help transfer power more effeciently. Do you have a cap? What battery, batteries?

I think you will probably need a bit more than 130. my stock 130A cant keep up with my 1200.1. Its a different situation yah, but the jbl draws 112A at full power, an air conditioner could draw the rest of the amprage easily. Go with a little higher to be safe, 150A is what i would go with.

I have a JL5001 and Jl3004 plus 760w of aux lighting and my stock 100 keeps up but not at idle, that why i switched. Its all about power transfer and the rate that the alternator provides said power

I've been lurking through the forums and kinda figured an alternator would be the best bang for my buck upgrade for my car (over a cap and a battery) so i don't have either upgraded just stock all around....I've been searching for an alternator that i can put in my car

and i found this http://www.alternatorparts.com/neon_buy_1.htm

seems quite steep at $320 for a 170 amp... but my search continutes... i think i'd rather have over kill with my alternator than stressing it...

have you looked around for a local shop to rewind yours? the place i found said that they could rewind mine to 200A for $150.

I've been lurking through the forums and kinda figured an alternator would be the best bang for my buck upgrade for my car (over a cap and a battery) so i don't have either upgraded just stock all around....I've been searching for an alternator that i can put in my car and i found this http://www.alternatorparts.com/neon_buy_1.htm

seems quite steep at $320 for a 170 amp... but my search continutes... i think i'd rather have over kill with my alternator than stressing it...

ok that again is probably peak amperage at a certain rpm. You need to call them and ask what the amp & motor rpm range is and also what the peak alt rpm is

I paid $250 for a powermaster 200 amp but I over rev it and it doesnt have low idle output. I need something that does 100 at 600 rpm....really tough to find

also you wont stress your alt...it is just going to put out all it can...cant take more than it gives

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.