Upgrading Subs, what should I do to upgrade my electrical?

Participant count
  • Participant list

divebombvt
10+ year member

Vermont
Hi, first post to the forums, //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I have a friend who has a power acoustik 3000 watt demon amp for sale for $100 and he will build me a custom box for free. I was thinking I would get the Power acoustik mofo 15" dvc 4ohm sub to replace my now kenwood subs. The kenwood subs currently run at 400rms at 4ohms a piece(2 channel amp) and I have NO LIGHT DIMMING AT ALL. However my alternator is only a 85amp, so to go to a 1700w rms sub would fry my alt. right? Upgrading my alternator isn't within the realm of possibility(would cost me $600 for a ho).

So I have done my research and am wondering if I could get an answer on which of the following upgrades would be necessary to keep my alternator kicking(as well as my battery).

1. The big 3

2. Second Battery

3. Upgrading my current battery in addition to adding a second battery

4. Adding a 3 Farad Cap. to my system

5. Adding a volt-meter/regulator to my system

I am only considering upgrading because the amp and box are $100, and I could get enough for the mofo by selling my current setup. So please keep price in mind while giving me suggestions.

P.S. In the summer I go to a drive in theater pretty regularly, which has double feature movies, they let you charge your car for 30min in between films, so allow for that time just sitting(If I need to carry a booster pack I could get my hands on one for dirt money, not a problem...)

Thanks, what do you think about the capacitor, I have heard from some people that they are a joke, and others that swear they stop causing battery/alternator failure

they only store enough juice for quick burst then they sit there until the voltage goes back up. During that time the highest power source is running the amp again. you spend money for .00004 seconds of power

they only store enough juice for quick burst then they sit there until the voltage goes back up. During that time the highest power source is running the amp again. you spend money for .00004 seconds of power
How quickly does the voltage go back up? Your explanation makes perfect sense to me but I have seen videos of caps with a display on them that shows 2 volts max fluctuations, is this a lack of speedy response on the caps part, or is a 2 volt dive more serious than I am thinking?

How quickly does the voltage go back up? Your explanation makes perfect sense to me but I have seen videos of caps with a display on them that shows 2 volts max fluctuations, is this a lack of speedy response on the caps part, or is a 2 volt dive more serious than I am thinking?
2 volt drop is bad. And the meters on caps are not that great. You voltage will go back up when the alternator makes enough current to satifiy the draw

2 volt drop is bad. And the meters on caps are not that great. You voltage will go back up when the alternator makes enough current to satifiy the draw
Thanks man, you've been a huge help, one last thing... Do you have a suggestion on what battery would be a good addition. Or any tips on what I should be looking for, like is the watts the battery rated for the max or rms of a system.

Look into basically any agm battery over 400-600 c.a.. You want a little extra juice when you need it, oh and save yourself the hassle now and get a stinger volt meter or any volt meter in general and hook it up to make sure you arent dipping to low voltage wise.. For the amp to run properly you have to have the proper voltage for it and as stated before ^^ you dont want to be hitting below 2 volts drop.. thats a no no. Good luck, ask some more questions if ya have em. Thats what the sites for :p

make sure its an AGM battery though!! absorbed glass matt. RAM does good deals on here with batts. plus you dont want that acid and shyt leaking around back there... So make sure its an AGM when you buy

Look into basically any agm battery over 400-600 c.a.. You want a little extra juice when you need it, oh and save yourself the hassle now and get a stinger volt meter or any volt meter in general and hook it up to make sure you arent dipping to low voltage wise.. For the amp to run properly you have to have the proper voltage for it and as stated before ^^ you dont want to be hitting below 2 volts drop.. thats a no no. Good luck, ask some more questions if ya have em. Thats what the sites for :p
Is c.a. cold amps or crank amps?

make sure its an AGM battery though!! absorbed glass matt. RAM does good deals on here with batts. plus you dont want that acid and shyt leaking around back there... So make sure its an AGM when you buy
oh also, should the deep cycle be the primary or secondary battery

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.