Very first build, going for SQ tell me what you think.

Too much sub bass for SQ ... 1 10 would be great in that cab (Sealed or tuned VERY low)

tweets need to be in the a pillars for adequate stage width and height ... Just my suggestion Bro ... thanks.

Very nice truck .. I have a 97 Chevy.

Yeah I saw your truck and the way you set it up I hope you dont mind me asking but how did you go about angling your speakers to make them image perfectly because I know you compete I saw this. But I have different speakers so what worked for you might niot work for me except some aspect has to be the same since we have similar trucks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2620346/1997-chevrolet-silverado-1500-extended-cab-richland-ms-us

I also may try the tweets in the a pillars even though CDT suggest not to because I can always get the upstage kit.

the sub Im going to stick with I may buy a cdt audio 12 and keep the 15 for home theater.

I took mobeious's advice and he is very helpful by the way, and that made it sound alot better. I haven't messed around with the aiming anymore but im going to try aiming them slightly at the windows or slightly more inward and maybe up and down and see what sounds the best. Might be building a mock up of the box tomorrow at work to test fit in my truck. if everything works out right I might start building some of it. I will be getting some velcro and put the tweeters on the sail panel and aim them towards the seats but may try pointing towards a bit as I have seen. I found this 7 snare drum hits tack that has the first being all the way to the left and the last all the way to right with the 4th hit being dead center in the dash. I can do the middle part but the hits on passenger side are harder to locate then the ones on my side.

Update

I finally got some pipe strap or whatever it is called to help with the angling of the speakers. I saw this done before and so far it works well. I will be using a laser to alighn the mids with the opposite headrest. I will also have the tweeters up in the sail panels even though cdt audio says not to. If somone can give me a reason not ide like that because I want them there to raise the sound stage a bit or is it possible to do that from the mids location. The tweeters will be aimed the same way as the mids or does somone have other suggestions Im trying to get this to sound the best as possble

speakers2.jpg

also note the tweeters are in 1.5" pvc end caps. the fit is pretty snug with one layer of electrical tape around the tweeter. I will use this in the kick or sail panel depending on what happens so it has a pod that can accept other tweeters.

Sent payment for the arc audio xxd 4080 amplifier should sound awesome with my setup. Thanks to the seller ill edit and put the name but I couldn't remember how to spell it.

Well look at. it this way I have peiced this system together peice by piece with the help of a lot of people on this forum and others. this is a build log and like you said a help thread in a way but I want help just as much as I want to share my journey into car audio as this is my first system in my first truck. There is no point in making a new thread about a question when I can just ask it in here. A lot of things I have figured out my self. And from all the knowledge I have gained I am able to help all of my friends with there stereos and i wouldst be able to do that without the help of all you all on here. so thanks sto everyone so far. I am getting this system done but slowly and I am glad its that way cuz I have gotten better equipment then I first had wanted.

IMAG0047.jpg

Made a mock up box for testing with scrap it was to shallow so I'm going to add a another layer of 3/4 ply to the front. The final box will be longer and slanted slightly. The bar grill I'm going to buy will keep the sub off the seat. I hope having it really close doesn't affect the sound to much. The volume for this test box is rather small only 1.25 cubic feet I am aiming for 2.2 which I heard gives an alignment of .707. Right now it is probably like .9 not sure.

IMAG0045.jpg

Now I am starting to think, that the box being back there with the extra 3/4" mdf and on top of that a bar grill that has 1-7/8" clearance, there will be a huge reduction in sound quality due to the seat being in the way but the grill will keep the space around the subwoofer completey open. I can move the seat from 3 clicks back to only 2, as I am a small guy, and this will make the seat barely touch the gill. The new box will be angled in the front, and the subwoofer will be angled with the seat. Also note that as you can see there is about 3/4" of the sub being open to under the seat. When i get a chance I will do a test size of the totalt depth with wood and see hot right it is against the grill.

Last edited by a moderator:
From now on my updates will be formatted somewhat like this due to me rambling on about alot of stuff im trying to perfect but I dont get many responses on how to perfect those thigs. I am a do ithe best the first time not later. But it's no big deal so here is an update.

Here is a list of things I have gotten done for the system so far:

-Added a thinner box for more airspace 5" deep x 30" long x 16" high

-Angled the front of the box on sub side only

IMAG0052-1.jpg

-Box volume after bracing displacement and without sub disp is 2.39 cubic feet

-Qtc of .711 will rise to like .73 to .75 at most with sub displacement

-Not sure what the avalanche's displacement is if anyone knows let me know I cant find it anywhere

-Built an amp rack

IMAG0062.jpg

-added an amplifier ground to the frame instead of the sheet metal

IMAG0054.jpg

-Had a ground loop fixed, that by grounding the headunit to the frame

-Soldered ring terminals to the 4 gauge wiring and installed that

Some goodies I have gotten

-#2 (not 2/0) welding cable orange hyper flex or whatever its called from welding supply.com I got 40' comes tomorrow.

will that be sufficient to use for the big three as the most power? I will draw total of 1320rms (1000rms to sub and 160rms for each speaker set)thanks

-Received the Arc Audio XXD 4080, speakers and sub getting 80rms sound amazing and get loud but I probably shouldn't do due no enclosure for the components.

-Hopefully tomorrow I will receive my new 4 channel lightning audio rca cable I purchased from someone on diymobileaudio

-Ordering a 1/0 distribution block so I can run my friends ap 1500d will give the sub 4 to 500ms to one coil

Things I have Left to do:

-Big 3 upgrade with #2 welding cable will do it in 1/0 if 2 gauge welding wire is not sufficient but that is up to everyone here..

-Add a run of that cable to a distro block then to the amps.

-Find best angles for speakers. This has been slowing me down a lot but I had it pretty good the other day and now I messed with something and have to use a lot of t/a.

-Fiberglass the kicks when angles are finalized. This will be the fun part.

-Bondo, sand, primer, and paint enclosures.

-Run 12 gauge speaker wire from individual driver to behind the seat were the amp rack with the crossovers is located.

-Run new 4 channel interconnect cable

-Laminate box in all black

-Paint amp rack or laminate if I have any left

-Buy a used sundown 1200 or 1500d might go with a 500 rms sq monblock amp if it would really matter. Prefer SQ over SPL any day.

-Tune everything.

-Get metered

More pictures tomorrow

Can I get some feedback on 2 gauge welding cable being sufficeint for no more then 1300w because I might just buy some 1/0 if not I will do double runs of the 2 gauge not sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ExplsvCookie257

10+ year member
ExplsvCookie257
Maryland
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from