Very first build, going for SQ tell me what you think.

Should be fine you really could get away with 4 awg since it'll be such a short run. wire is normally rated for 25 foot runs anything shorter than that and the rating slowly goes up

Things ive got done.

-I finished laminating the box, me and my uncle did it in this blue. I wanted to do black but he didnt want there to be a seam on the top of the box due to the laminate not being long enough. Regardless of the color it turned out really nice, matches the amp kinda, and protects the box while also making it a lot stronger.

-Finished some big three cables

-ran new rca's

I will edit this tomorow if I still can so I can add a picture taken in the light because it is dark and really cold

before lamination with the blue laminate we used

IMAG0065.jpg

Finished some big three cables

IMAG0063-1.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

some things left to do.

-Finish the angling for the kicks.

-Run 12 gauge speaker wire for everything, right now its 16 gauge and patched together because I ran out of cable.

-And anything else I didn't add from the other list.

After adding more airspace I got pretty close to the .707 allighnment and it sounds incredible the difference from the old box is dramatic the bass seems quicker and digs down deep idk how else to describe it. Basically it sounds awesome with any music and plays mid bass ok because I cut the frequencies from 200 and up on the speakers so the bass doesn't hurt them from free airing while the sub plays all the way up to 125 because I hate how it sounds like theres a hole in the music.

Some questions

Someone tell me why my speakers kinda squeak to the bass only when the sub is playing with the sub-woofer level on the stereo all the way up but as I turn it down so its just music and a little bass it dissappears Im thinking the bass is moving the speakers since they arent enclosed yet.

Finally finished the big three upgrade. Battery measured 14.14v idling and amp measured 14.10v dipped down to 14.05v on heavy bass notes. Everything in my truck is brighter the dash and even the headlights. My truck also started quicker as well. voltage before at amp was like 13.7 or something close to that not sure what it was at the battery. Are these new volt readings good or could it get better?

Wiring

IMAG0071.jpg

more wiring

IMAG0072.jpg

fuse block

IMAG0073.jpg

ground

IMAG0074.jpg

relocated engine ground and also added a run of 2 gauge alongside.

IMAG0077.jpg

Box is finished besides organizing wires behind the removable amp rack, running 12 gauge speaker wire for everything, and mounting it to the back wall and floor.

IMAG0069.jpg

Coming out killer! Nice equipment as well, should sound sweet!

I actually like how the box turned out. Looks like I could set some dishes on it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks. Laminate is very touch stuff it makes the box a lot stronger and water proof as well as sealing off any leaks. The spray on contact cement is also really strong to. Resists scratches and dings unlike paint. May re laminate in black so it doesn't look like I made a box out out of counter top lol. It still came out nice for being blue.

Just to let everyone know, I purchased a sundown sae 1200d v2. It should be on par quality and sq wise, with all my other equipment. I will have it by christmas. I plan on running a 1000rms to the sub.

New sundown amp is hooked up and is to big for my amp rack So its under the seat for now. Eventually I will do a blow through in a ported box 3.5cu ft at 28hz not sure what port area though. I will make a new amp rack and mount the crossovers and 4 channel on one side, and the sundown on the other.

The amp's sound quality is superb and it gets ungodly loud and low. Both doors open is the loudest and makes stuff flex way harder idk why. The squeaking problem I had went away when the sub was not hooked to the speaker amp. I had the same problem when I had the amp hooked to a test bench with the speakers and sub hooked up to it.

Ive been testing the speakers in different boxes and I don't understand why the sealed box .3 cubic feet as suggested by cdt audio, makes a crackle noise to the mid bass when I barely turn it up, the same box vented with a aperiodic vent moves alot more and doesn't make such a noise only distorts slightly when its far beyond comfortable listening levels wich is way louder then the sealed box could get.

No because I don't think the ava's work well in a band pass, maybe i'm wrong though. I still want really good sq I dont care much for how loud it gets but if I can put up numbers at a competition that would be nice.

So I finished the kick panels and ran the 12 gauge speaker wire, I finally took the time to mess with them and finish them. took me about a week working on them 3 or so hours a day.

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054-1.jpg

Ill post pics of them installed I just forgot to take them because it is dark.

I will be going active since the alpine has that capability. I think I have that part figured out. The CDT components are going in custom fiberglass kick panel enclosures that I'm going to make and the sub will be in a fiber glassed box in between the seat. I'm leaning towards the ascendant audio avalanche because I heard the lows on a sealed box are amazing and it gets really loud. I have a single cab truck, so I don't want it to be overpowering only if I want it to be. Eventually I'll make a ported box somehow.
active = yummy.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I've got problem with the right woofer being louder then the left so when I sit in the drivers seat with t/a off balance set to equal it all gets dragged to the right. Sounds just like when you use no time alighnment or balance and all the sound appears to only come from the closest speaker. Even sitting on the right side it doesnt switch over to the other side so I know its not the way they are aimed. If I sit dead center of the truck I can fix it with 2 clicks on the balance to the left side. I took some measurements with a multi meter and got 3.5 ohms right side and 3.6 left and on a 1khz tone with volume up a little i got .28 ac volts on one channel and .29 ac volts on the other and this is with balance and ta all off. one side was always a digit higher on the multi meter no matter what the volume.

So hopefully someone can help me find the problem.

I never had this problem when they were free aired temporarely to get the aiming right.

Oh and to they guy who liked that im doing active well its active now but im confused about the subwoofer slope does the active filter slope add onto to 12db octave one set on the amp when its set at 250hz or is the new slope set by the headunit not interact with it, because the filter on the amp is always on and i cant set it to full like the speaker amp. I got the mids playing from 80 to 3.5 and the tweeters doing the rest. The tweeters are on a 24db slope and the mids are on an 18db slope.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ExplsvCookie257

10+ year member
ExplsvCookie257
Maryland
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from