Very Weird Problems HU/Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Decado
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So, for some reason I always have some weird convoluted problem that can't easily be explained so please bear with me. So for a little background, I bought a new Pioneer DEH-P880PRS and when I put it in I barely got any sound out of my mids (i'm running it in 3 way crossover mode) and I had no problems with my amp previously so I sent the HU in to be fixed. When I got the HU back I sent it in again and got it back with the same problem which led me to believe it's the amp that's the problem. Since I didn't have the money to get the amp fixed or get a new amp I figured I'd deal with it for a while and just listen to it that way. One day I noticed I had an engine whine so I did the ground loop fix of wrapping a wire around the RCA connections and then grounding that to the HU and that actually seemed to fix everything, even the mid problem. Well here's where it gets weird, the mids seemed to be playing really high which made it sound very harsh, but the high sounds should be filtered out by the passive crossovers even though I have it set at PASS on the HU. I just decided to treat them like actives then and turn the frequency on the HU down but when I did this the tweeters almost stopped playing at all, even though I never touched the tweeter setting. So, what do you think is wrong here, **** thing is driving me nuts.

lol sounds like you have a lil cluster**** goin on here
Awesome, thanks for that, now does anyone have any real advice for me? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

hm. i dunno. did you have any problems before this headunit? or did all of it start when you got the 880. if it started when u got the 880, it could possibly be the HU. but if you got it repaired, and it still does it, that leads me to belive its the amp. but if you didnt have problems before, it cant be the amp. so maybe something went wrong when you isntalled it, maybe your shorted out the RCA's on the amp side. try grounding those like you did the headunit.

hm. i dunno. did you have any problems before this headunit? or did all of it start when you got the 880. if it started when u got the 880, it could possibly be the HU. but if you got it repaired, and it still does it, that leads me to belive its the amp. but if you didnt have problems before, it cant be the amp. so maybe something went wrong when you isntalled it, maybe your shorted out the RCA's on the amp side. try grounding those like you did the headunit.
The only problem I had before this HU was my kenwood decided to stop working one day, it just went extremely distorted one day, and it was the subs and the components so it was the HU. When you say try grounding the RCA's on the amp side do you mean ground them to the amp or ground them to the head unit?

Ok well I tried doing the ground loop thing on the amp and I got a weird screeching noise but I unhooked the wire from the ground and left it wrapped around the RCA's and now everything seems to be working 100%. Why would it work wrapped around the RCA's but not attached to the ground?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.