voltage question

Participant count
  • Participant list

LuvnThatBass
10+ year member

I like speakers
Phoenix
i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this issue... I just got my truck fixed, and low-and-behold the alternator didnt work when i got it back, so i obviously had them install a new one (at my cost of course) and the alt is putting out 13.8v (i tested at the alt), but when i test the battery, when car is on, it is only like 13.2ish volts, needless to say my amp is only getting the same, wondering why this is like this, never had a problem before with this, its always been at 13.8ish

Have big 3 done? Remember power flows in a loop. The grounds are just as important as the power wire.

My guess is you have a bad engine ground?

it sits right around 12.4-12.6, and from what i have gathered, thats good. I have done the big three, but then my power wire from my batt to alt got so hot it melted my giant knu konceptz fuse holder, so im not really sure what that means. i obviously took that out. and when i am idling an my air is on, the power goes WAY WAY down, to like 11.6-13 volts. the shitty part is that everything was fine BEFORE the shop..

ur alt should be putting out 14.2 not 13.6 they probably sold u a remanufacturered one and its jacked up too. ur wire melted cuzz of the low voltage low volts=high amps=high heat loss=melted wire

ur alt should be putting out 14.2 not 13.6 they probably sold u a remanufacturered one and its jacked up too. ur wire melted cuzz of the low voltage low volts=high amps=high heat loss=melted wire

agreed.... remanufactured alt might be the problem.... might be cheap regulator on the alt.

well the alt definitely says remanufactured. what/where would this alt regulator be? the funny part about this, is that they put in a alt that did about 13v, and then i told them they needed to switch it out for one that works properly, they did-kind of, cuz now i have this problem, i did have another local shop hook up some battery and alt checkers and they say it is all good now. But i know that is should not be 13.2v at my battery and only 13.8v at the source (alt). should i just get a yaris?! no more shop visits....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.