W7 Dillema! help!

shatter187
10+ year member

ok, i just got my 2 10 inch w7s hooked up. Im a noob, thats why im asking for help. I have a viper 1200d amp. Right now, its bridged into one channel, 2 positives in the positve and the 2 negatives in the negative. I hope that is correct. So now, i have a free channel.

Theres a few controls im not sure what they do.

What does the subsonic filter do?

How much gain should I turn up and how much of the bass (1-12) eq should I turn up.

I hope its bridged into 1 ohm. From what I did, it should be a 1ohm load right?

I really appreciate any help.

Sub sonic filters cut off the low bass notes that can harm a sub that is ported or bandpassed. If you are using a sealed box i wouldnt worry about it. I am not sure on your wiring so someone else will have to help you on that.

what should I set the ssf at?

My friend wired my subs, It looks like he did a half assed job, please tell me if this is bad, he spliced the 2 subwires and put those electrical caps on the ends, then ran a wire from that to the amp. Im going to take a picture right now.

please help.

I think he means the impedance of the coils. Anyway, It's hard to tell from the pic, but what you described (two subs being plugged into one channel) isn't bridged, its parallel, you need to look at the manual that came w/ the amp to see how to bridge it properly, usualy the positive from one channel and the negative from the other.

my god people, this isn't that hard to answer the man's questions.

1st, packerfan is right, you have your subs wired to 1.5Ohms, that should get you about 800W or so out of that amp. there is no way around it, yu can never get 1200W out of it, you really need a different amp to power those subs fully (one that gives full power at 2Ohms).

Now, as for the wiring, it sound like your friend did do it RIGHT! you described a wire coming from each sub, combining, and then going into the amp as one wire now (this is done for pos and neg correct?). That means that your subs are wired how they should be, the two positives connected together and the two negatives connected together, then run into the amp.

a sub-sonic filter is a setting you will use if you have a ported box, which by your pictures it looks like you have one, but the pics are small. You need to find out what the ported box is tuned to (measured in Hz) and set the sub-sonic filter about 5-10Hz below what the box is tuned to. this will control the subs at low notes so that they dont unload (loose control) on you.

the gain depends on what you have for your head unit. tell us what head unit you have and it will help us tell you where you need to set it.

the bass eq isn't a good feature in my opinion, and i just keep it all the way down. it boosts the strength of the amp on mid range bass notes (usually found mostly in techno/rap) but does not boost anything else. this makes for a reproduction of sound that is different in how it was recorded, and i like most people like to hear music he way it was recorded. Up side to the bass eq is it can get you really loud bass, really distorted but really loud.

So i took the subs out of my box. I heard if I want to bridge it there should only be one wire for both of the subs going to the amp.

Those JLs are retarded to take out. Why did they make them like that? The screws are under the surround. It seems like a dumb idea, because sawdust gets all alover the subs inside and out.

What do you guys think about that?

Next subs I get will be something other than JL, I heard that OZ is real good, also what about MMATS?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.