Want a Higher reading: DID 151.2 db

soundqubed subs will give the type Rs a run for their money. HDS200s are 600 rms and have a higher Xmax then the Rs and the hds 300 are 1200 rms and have almost double the Xmax of the type Rs. If anything you'll be moving a lot more air but i'm not sure how well they will do in your enclosure. Seems like that enclosure was built for those kickers anything else in that box would not perform/sound as well so you might have to redo the box over.

You'd probably get louder if you do a wall with 4 beefy 15s on more power, A little bit less cone area but a lot more motor force and excursion.

I hope you don't think you're going to just replace your 80$ a pop 10s with some 100$ a pop 10's and magically be audibly louder.

Seriously, if you're looking to spend 1200$ or so to get louder, spend 800$ on a couple high quality 15's or 18's, drop another 200 into wood and a box design, then throw another 200$ into a big AGM battery so you don't keep blowing up amps.

Also you're going to be sorely disappointed when you finally get your hands on an accurate pressure sensor style meter.

you should try laying the box all the way down like a 'no wall' setup. it could be louder. or maybe not...
I tried moving it closer to the rear hatch with miserable results lol. Sounds less loud than backed up to the rear seats completely. I also tried letting it rest on the back seat at an angle, firing at the rear hatch, and I couldn't tell much difference in level of loudness, but definitely more air being pushed around the passengers. I got super lazy, and didn't feel like disconnecting wires and such to lay it down, and I would need to try it two different ways:

It's slope like built, so I could:

1) Put the bottom (side it stands up right on) towards the back seat, so it slopes toward the hatch, and the ports fire at the hatch.

2) Put the top of the box towards the back seat, which would slope upwards towards the hatch, and the ports fire forward into the cab.

I know it's all trial and error, just didn't have the energy today to try the different ways facing up! Will keep you guys posted.

I think you would need to create a complete baffle for the front if you wanted to fire it forward, so it would be more like a real wall. Also, subs up, port(s) back would probably be louder than your current subs/ports up situation. four 6" aeroports rear firing in a new box with those same woofers could be cheaper than a whole new equipment/build and yield better #'s.
I actually have a spare box, that built this way. I'll snap a pic tomorrow. All 8 subs facing up, but box isn't very deep. Port runs long and narrow at bottom. I had it made for the jeep as well, but after hearing it, I put the old box back in it. Way louder. If it was a hitting a fake reading of 153, then the other box sounded like a real 127.6 lol...

Not saying the idea is bad, but obviously (MY) box was built for something other than putting out good sound lol. I think it would have sounded better if the box had been deeper, or different design for ports. Problem is, in upstate SC, the car audio scene sux, and not a lot of guys who truly know what they're doing. A monster system here consist of anything greater than (2) subs, so the guy at the red light with the (3) Rampage 12s is a bass god here.

Yeah either fire forward, or lay that down or push it forward, or push it 3/4 of the way closer to the back of the vehicle, let it load of the hatch some.. Any of those 3 will be louder than what you have I'd bet.. Even if it somehow meters less (**** happens) I'd bet to the ear they will be louder.
Forgot about firing it forward, just to test the sound. Sort of ruled that theory out, because it would seem best way, that way, would be to seal it off, but can't hurt to try it. Maybe surprised? Will try tomorrow. Seems I'd get a higher reading this way though with the waves coming directly into the cab.

I hope you don't think you're going to just replace your 80$ a pop 10s with some 100$ a pop 10's and magically be audibly louder.
No, I didn't think that moving a few decimal points on an invoice, would move a few decibel points on a meter. I did however believe, better subs, on top of more power, amongst other things would yield better numbers. Or Magically be audibly louder, so to speak

Seriously, if you're looking to spend 1200$ or so to get louder, spend 800$ on a couple high quality 15's or 18's, drop another 200 into wood and a box design, then throw another 200$ into a big AGM battery so you don't keep blowing up amps.
I could drop $5,000 into it yesterday if I wanted to, but again, it isn't that serious for me. I've heard some set-ups with 15 inch subs before, but I think I'd prefer those sealed. At least the ones I really liked, were always sealed enclosures, and I'm not dead set, but I like ported enclosures. I like the range of the 10 inch subs, and I know tuned properly in the right enclosure, 12's and 15's could be same, or better, or whatever. The battery under my hood is fine, I have big 3, and I have a kinetik in the back, and watching my voltage, it doesn't drop enough to even dim the lights. I have a huge gauge on the dash that fluctuates, but not much at all. Also, if I do go up in subs, I'd add another amp, and a better alternator, and then an additional battery in the back. The (SINGLE) amp only crapped out twice, and it was strictly from my own ignorance. Beating the dog crap out of it at one ohm.
Also you're going to be sorely disappointed when you finally get your hands on an accurate pressure sensor style meter.
Doubt it chief! Want to learn, listen to loud musiq, live & let live! If an "accurate" meters pops up in these woods, and it read 134, then I have a loud *** 134. At the end of the day, if I were truly competing, I have no doubt I could reach 153 on an "accurate" meter, and wouldn't care what it cost to do so. I put over $15k into a four wheeler I ride for fun, 24 weekends out of the year. I think the disappointment would come from my fellow competitors who put their lives into their 152's and I show up hitting 153's accurately, and never really gave a ship...

To simulate sealing it off push the box to the back.. at that point youll just lose a db or so cuz of the increases distance, but acoustics should outdo that if that orientation is indeed louder

To simulate sealing it off push the box to the back.. at that point youll just lose a db or so cuz of the increases distance, but acoustics should outdo that if that orientation is indeed louder
I was wondering that as well. Planned to try it midway back and listen, then all the way back and listen. Appreciate the idea none the less. May just scrap the whole thing, start from ground up, throw 5-6 grand at it, call it a day, lol. Just to **** a few people off. Can't keep amp(s) from burning up, but can replace em ten fold //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

No, I didn't think that moving a few decimal points on an invoice, would move a few decibel points on a meter. I did however believe, better subs, on top of more power, amongst other things would yield better numbers. Or Magically be audibly louder, so to speak
I could drop $5,000 into it yesterday if I wanted to, but again, it isn't that serious for me. I've heard some set-ups with 15 inch subs before, but I think I'd prefer those sealed. At least the ones I really liked, were always sealed enclosures, and I'm not dead set, but I like ported enclosures. I like the range of the 10 inch subs, and I know tuned properly in the right enclosure, 12's and 15's could be same, or better, or whatever. The battery under my hood is fine, I have big 3, and I have a kinetik in the back, and watching my voltage, it doesn't drop enough to even dim the lights. I have a huge gauge on the dash that fluctuates, but not much at all. Also, if I do go up in subs, I'd add another amp, and a better alternator, and then an additional battery in the back. The (SINGLE) amp only crapped out twice, and it was strictly from my own ignorance. Beating the dog crap out of it at one ohm.

Doubt it chief! Want to learn, listen to loud musiq, live & let live! If an "accurate" meters pops up in these woods, and it read 134, then I have a loud *** 134. At the end of the day, if I were truly competing, I have no doubt I could reach 153 on an "accurate" meter, and wouldn't care what it cost to do so. I put over $15k into a four wheeler I ride for fun, 24 weekends out of the year. I think the disappointment would come from my fellow competitors who put their lives into their 152's and I show up hitting 153's accurately, and never really gave a ship...
You're missing the point entirely. My point was that switching between entry level big-box-store brand 10's in that same box will likely not make an audible difference. for the cost of 1000-1200$

Also your 153 you keep throwing around is meaningless because of the inconsistency with AC meters.

I'm honestly trying to help you here. A high quality pair of subs in the proper box will outperform what you have now in every way. If you want to throw more money at it, go for it. If you're like me you won't regret it for a minute, but I'd highly recommend you travel to a real show and experience some things outside of your local area before you make any investments one way or another.

You're missing the point entirely. My point was that switching between entry level big-box-store brand 10's in that same box will likely not make an audible difference. for the cost of 1000-1200$
Also your 153 you keep throwing around is meaningless because of the inconsistency with AC meters.

I'm honestly trying to help you here. A high quality pair of subs in the proper box will outperform what you have now in every way. If you want to throw more money at it, go for it. If you're like me you won't regret it for a minute, but I'd highly recommend you travel to a real show and experience some things outside of your local area before you make any investments one way or another.
I understand where you're coming from Bret! And the 153 is a joke. I came here to learn because I know there are a few people here who know their ship (you included). So if you guys say the 153 is really a 141, so be it. I don't want a rolling speaker that burps a 160... but getting around a true 151 in a daily driver maybe nice. I may consider some quality subs, but still prefer 2-4 of them lol

I understand where you're coming from Bret! And the 153 is a joke. I came here to learn because I know there are a few people here who know their ship (you included). So if you guys say the 153 is really a 141, so be it. I don't want a rolling speaker that burps a 160... but getting around a true 151 in a daily driver maybe nice. I may consider some quality subs, but still prefer 2-4 of them lol
OK. Now you're on the right track!

So how much space do you have to work with? I'm quite confident you'll reach your goals much faster with fewer high quality woofers in a solid and adequately sized box. Plenty of guys can play a 151 with a solid pair of 15's or 18's, 4 12's may be right up your alley also. Look to quality over quantity and you'll be pleased with the results, break less equipment and hold far better resale value for later.

This may be a far reaching suggestion, but find eight SoundStream T5 10's - they were fantastic to me and overall probably my favorite subs for loud daily. Got to a 150.1 at the dash with four a few yrs back. They took a beating as well.
you know once reconed they are really loud, you would be suprised to know who designed them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.