Was i being fed a bunch of bullshi*?

Blue2025
10+ year member

Texas
my system was stopping and starting a few months after being installed, and seeing as everything was brand new (3 months) i brought it in to the shop where it was installed. This is my first system so i wasn't going to take any chances. I heard them testing it for about 30 minutes and then they come out telling me that i had blown the subs and that they would have to send them in and get replacements. Is it possible that i actually blew the subs? it seems unlikely to me because they would work every day for a few minutes prior to getting them looked at. Can subs be blown and still work, or did the shop actually blow them. I found it suspicious because they took them out BEFORE telling me so i couldn't look at them.

my system was stopping and starting a few months after being installed, and seeing as everything was brand new (3 months) i brought it in to the shop where it was installed. This is my first system so i wasn't going to take any chances. I heard them testing it for about 30 minutes and then they come out telling me that i had blown the subs and that they would have to send them in and get replacements. Is it possible that i actually blew the subs? it seems unlikely to me because they would work every day for a few minutes prior to getting them looked at. Can subs be blown and still work, or did the shop actually blow them. I found it suspicious because they took them out BEFORE telling me so i couldn't look at them.
My question is, which may be an answer to your question, Is, How is it i can check if a sub is blown in 2 minutes, when it takes them 30 minutes?

My question is, which may be an answer to your question, Is, How is it i can check if a sub is blown in 2 minutes, when it takes them 30 minutes?
i was under the impression that if a sub is blown it wont play. So they could have tried to diagnose the original problem for 30 minutes and have blown the sub in the process, all i would have had to do is try to play the subs and if they wouldn't play, then i would know they were blown.

i was under the impression that if a sub is blown it wont play. So they could have tried to diagnose the original problem for 30 minutes and have blown the sub in the process, all i would have had to do is try to play the subs and if they wouldn't play, then i would know they were blown.
all you had to do was take a 9 volt battery and touch the terminals. and if you have a dmm, that works too.

What's the 9v battery thing do?
It makes your woofers woof.......
I will take some of the smart ass off this^

the 9volt test will basically just test if the subs are blown or not by sending them a bit of power.. it will make them pop out(or in if you switch the pos and neg) but even if the subs aren't BLOWN.. it doesn't mean they are broken. a breaking or loose lead wire could go in and out.

sounds more like an amp overheating or going into protect mode. Possibly the shop wired the subs incorrectly and the amp was seeing to low of a ohm load. Could also be a RCA issue

sounds more like an amp overheating or going into protect mode. Possibly the shop wired the subs incorrectly and the amp was seeing to low of a ohm load. Could also be a RCA issue
This. A sub can fail in more than one way, and its *possible* it would operate sometimes and not others (loose tinsel lead for example), but it is highly highly highly unlikely. Chances are about 95% that the shop either lied to you, or simply doesn't have a fucking clue.

I might add that I had this happen to my last system. The bass ****** horribly for most of the day, but there was always a time where it would kick back in for a few minutes. I found out that one of the RCA male penors that plugged into the amp was loose. A new set of RCA's fixed it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.