We should make a Sticky...

Participant count
  • Participant list

k_schutte
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I think it would be helpful to make a sticky (unless we have something I don't see) that has a general reference for the wire size you should use based on the power you are running. and may be something for batteries as well....

Also in that sticky may be something comparing crap wire to good wire. People thinking Wal-Mart 4awg is "big" should see it next to some real 4awg... Stuff like that. I have just been seeing a few of those "wire size" and "what batteries" type of threads so i thought i would throw something out there.

Pretty much everything you could need is here: http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

some more basic stuff if you don't feel like checking out the link:

wire1.png

wire2.png

voltage drop demo: http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/voltdropthroughsystem.swf

I think your table is off by a few numbers. The top one shows 5,7,9,11 & 13AWG. I may be incorrect but I dont think that those are standard conductor sizes (Not listed in my 2002 N.E.C.)

As for the ampacity ratings on the 2nd half of your table... you may want to double check all of the ratings from the 8AWG and up.

Im open for comments here.

Do they have a table for the crappy aluminum wire too? might want to add that I know a lot of people here cheap out with that stuff.

I think your table is off by a few numbers. The top one shows 5,7,9,11 & 13AWG. I may be incorrect but I dont think that those are standard conductor sizes (Not listed in my 2002 N.E.C.)
As for the ampacity ratings on the 2nd half of your table... you may want to double check all of the ratings from the 8AWG and up.

Im open for comments here.
Tables are form that link... not created by myself... I was just trying to get the ball rolling so may be people would post a bunch if sufel electrical info here so people can stop asking teh same questions over and over...

Tables are form that link... not created by myself... I was just trying to get the ball rolling so may be people would post a bunch if sufel electrical info here so people can stop asking teh same questions over and over...
I understand your intentions and I agree that you have a valid point. Im just confused about the numbers in the tables because some of the wire sizes are not standard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.