weird shaped ports

01 S 10
10+ year member

LOUD
Has anyone had any personal experience with a triangular shaped port? I have a location where i want to put the port in my next build but its not a typical spot where a square slot port will work.. im wondering who has used a triangle shaped slot port or abnormal shaped port. this will be for a higher powered daily setup, 6kw and probably 180 to 200 sq inches of port. im thinking there will be a big drop in air flow in the tighter corners of the port, but i dunno

thanks,

Cody

If it's a daily setup and #s aren't a big issue then I wouldn't worry about it too much.
im not too worried about sealed up numbers because i always drive with my windows down partially, i was doing about 148.8-149 sealed up on the dash on music w/ 2 15"s

with windows down partially, i'd like to be around 151-152 on the dash. ill have over 2-2500 more watts and 1 more 15", i was at 149.9 before on music before. so its daily, but numbers are always nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

basically a loud daily, with potential to bassrace 149.9. i think im going a different route with the port. have all 3 subs side by side, and port up high on the wall, like imamp3pimps

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
x2

looks like he wants you to fail

heres how i see it

i think that the airflow throughout would be just fine given that you are using a big enough port.

no matter the shape.

so if thats what you have to work with, then go for it.

just make sure that you have the length, because bending that, i can see it being a major pain in the ass if you have th keep the surface area the same (or close) throughout

x2
looks like he wants you to fail

heres how i see it

i think that the airflow throughout would be just fine given that you are using a big enough port.

no matter the shape.

so if thats what you have to work with, then go for it.

just make sure that you have the length, because bending that, i can see it being a major pain in the ass if you have th keep the surface area the same (or close) throughout
How can you say shape doesn't matter? You obviously didn't read this http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080229920

Or maybe you did read it, yet you didn't understand it so you just ignore it.

ok thanks, im going to do something different and place the port up higher so i can make it rectangular, probably 6" x 32". Ill just run the 3 subs side by side

if you rounded the interior corners of the triangles. it wouldn't be too bad. I've seen this done (the rounding of corners) in BIG square ports

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.