Went from 35's to 37's on my 08 Silverado

if your excluding prerunners then everything you said before that is meaningless. prerunners are just that, lifted 2wd trucks. the front it higher with prerunners for a reason, and anyone who has experience with them will know why. lifting a 2wd truck is usully just as expensive as lifting a 4x4. main diference is the elimination of CV wear and lower insurance.
and a wing on a Civic isnt useless because of the speed (or lack of), its useless because its front wheel driven. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

tires seem a bit small for the lift but otherwise the truck looks solid //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif
Prerunners are lifted for a purpose, mall crawlers are lifted for looks. There is a difference. A prerunner that doesn't fly over anything but pavement is a mall crawler.

Lifting a 2wd is not just as expensive. You don't need to regear two differentials when you put bigger tires on a 2wd. You don't have to rework or get a new front driveshaft on a 2wd. You don't have to worry about front cv or axle damage on a 2wd which can save you money. Lift kits for 2wd's usually cost less than 4wd kits. Also you can just slam some spacers on the front of a 2wd and not have to worry about cv angles like you do on a 4wd. They are not the same for cost at all.

And for the civic wing a car can still lose stability in the rear even if its front wheel drive. A car can't only get light where its drive axles are...

Prerunners are lifted for a purpose, mall crawlers are lifted for looks. There is a difference. A prerunner that doesn't fly over anything but pavement is a mall crawler.
Lifting a 2wd is not just as expensive. You don't need to regear two differentials when you put bigger tires on a 2wd. You don't have to rework or get a new front driveshaft on a 2wd. You don't have to worry about cv or axle damage on a 2wd which can save you money. Lift kits for 2wd's usually cost less than 4wd kits. Also you can just slam some spacers on the front of a 2wd and not have to worry about cv angles like you do on a 4wd. They are not the same for cost at all.
no, prerunners are lifted 2wd trucks....nothing more than that by title. yes there are prerunners built for racing, perfect example being baja built rigs. but a lifted 2wd, mall crawler or not, is still a prerunner. ever Toyota sells a prerunner version of the Tacoma.....4x4 suspension on a 2wd truck.

believe me, lifting a 2wd truck is almost as expensive. your right about the regearing of only one diff. but when your spending $2500 for a lift, that extra $180 for front gears just doesnt really stand out.

as far as the last part of your comment, 2wd trucks dont have CV axles/boots to worry about. and if your only going to use spacer on a 4x4, you really dont have to worry about the angles. a 2" lift isnt going to make that much diference.

no, prerunners are lifted 2wd trucks....nothing more than that by title. yes there are prerunners built for racing, perfect example being baja built rigs. but a lifted 2wd, mall crawler or not, is still a prerunner. ever Toyota sells a prerunner version of the Tacoma.....4x4 suspension on a 2wd truck.
believe me, lifting a 2wd truck is almost as expensive. your right about the regearing of only one diff. but when your spending $2500 for a lift, that extra $180 for front gears just doesnt really stand out.

as far as the last part of your comment, 2wd trucks dont have CV axles/boots to worry about. and if your only going to use spacer on a 4x4, you really dont have to worry about the angles. a 2" lift isnt going to make that much diference.
I can see you are not picking up what I'm laying down for some reason. My point is some lifted 2wd's serve a purpose besides looks. (not saying some 4wd's don't crawl the malls too)

And yes, a couple hundred dollar driveshaft, a couple hundred set of gears, a gear install kit, a stronger carrier if you choose, a few quarts of fluid, etc adds up. Also on some IFS vehicles a 3" spacer will cause CV wear issues. A 2wd guy can go those 3 extra inches for 100 bucks...if a 4wd guy wants to do those 3 extra inches the smart way its closer to 10 times that. Add in the labor cost if you have somebody do the install of the gears and/or lift kit and it really eclipses a 2wd setup.

I can see you are not picking up what I'm laying down for some reason. My point is some lifted 2wd's serve a purpose besides looks. (not saying some 4wd's don't crawl the malls too)
And yes, a couple hundred dollar driveshaft, a couple hundred set of gears, a gear install kit, a stronger carrier if you choose, a few quarts of fluid, etc adds up. Also on some IFS vehicles a 3" spacer will cause CV wear issues. A 2wd guy can go those 3 extra inches for 100 bucks...if a 4wd guy wants to do those 3 extra inches the smart way its closer to 10 times that. Add in the labor cost if you have somebody do the install of the gears and/or lift kit and it really eclipses a 2wd setup.
I get what your saying. I guess its just that I dont really consider 2-3" a significant lift kit. So when you spend $2500+ for a lift kit, the $250 for the gears, install kit and lube doesnt seem all that significant.

I get what your saying. I guess its just that I dont really consider 2-3" a significant lift kit. So when you spend $2500+ for a lift kit, the $250 for the gears, install kit and lube doesnt seem all that significant.
You must be leaving out parts on purpose //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Gears, install kit, fluid, install, and tax I was at 700 bucks an axle to regear. Then I had to have a 200 dollar driveshaft made to account for the lift/angle. My 8" lift was over 2500 for parts. A 2wd'r could have gotten 9" for $1300 with a 6" kit and a 3" spacer.

So just basic stuff, keeping my front cv's at stock angles I was up to 3400 bucks and a 2wd'r could have been an inch higher than me for 1300 bucks. I repeat...not the same cost. 3400 != 1300

I'll quit jackin this doods thread now. Good lookin truck. I wouldn't get it muddy either...black is a ***** to clean...and thats alot of black.

yea the truck is for show. it has seen the other terrain than pavement. i own 600 acres of land in the country so when it rains, or even if it doesnt it still gets dirty. ill go through little potholes and what not here and there, but nothing extreme. like i said there are other toys for that. i bought the truck with no intentions of lifting it. i drove a z71 ltz for a couple days but decided i didnt like it. the suspension stock suspension was rough and my stock suspension was the high performance package or something. i dont regret not getting the z71 now that mines lifted, bc one, i still wouldnt take the z71 in the mud, and two its a hell of a lot cheaper to mod a 2wd. i was quoted $600 installed for a reagear on my truck. i understand everyone is entitled to theyre own opinion cuz ive got mine on things. its all good though. no offense taking.

Personally I like how it looks before but I like trucks on big wheels with rubber bands. Still you have a very nice truck with a shitload of work to it.

08chevy002do0.jpg

yea the truck is for show. it has seen the other terrain than pavement. i own 600 acres of land in the country so when it rains, or even if it doesnt it still gets dirty. ill go through little potholes and what not here and there, but nothing extreme. like i said there are other toys for that. i bought the truck with no intentions of lifting it. i drove a z71 ltz for a couple days but decided i didnt like it. the suspension stock suspension was rough and my stock suspension was the high performance package or something. i dont regret not getting the z71 now that mines lifted, bc one, i still wouldnt take the z71 in the mud, and two its a hell of a lot cheaper to mod a 2wd. i was quoted $600 installed for a reagear on my truck. i understand everyone is entitled to theyre own opinion cuz ive got mine on things. its all good though. no offense taking.
what other toys do you have for offroad purposes?

and i really do not like mallcrawlers. waste of time and money imo. but whatever i think it looks nice i would just never lift a truck unless i was going to use it for offroad purposes.

what other toys do you have for offroad purposes?and i really do not like mallcrawlers. waste of time and money imo. but whatever i think it looks nice i would just never lift a truck unless i was going to use it for offroad purposes.
2- honda foreman es 4x4 4wheelers, 1 honda fourtrax 4wheeler, 1 honda recon 4 wheeler, 86' chevy custom deluxe with 6" of lift and 35" boggers(farm truck), and a kawasaki mule

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.