What component 3 ways will compare to old ads 641IS?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I run the 3-way Milles in a hybrid passive (3+1) and active (6.5) setup, and while I love them, I do not think they will satisfy you in this particular application. I'd go for the Polyglass Focals if you can swing them. The Milles (and pretty much all of the higher end Hertz tweeters, which are the only ones worth it - High Energy and up) need a quiet listening environment to really shine - something your Jeep, is not. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Btw, more pics of the rig! That thing looks amazing. I just remembered you mentioning your ADS comps - I have heard an older 2-way set, and the Hertz tweeters kinda remind me of them. I'd compare the old school MB Quarts to today's Focal. If that helps your decision...

CDT has 3-way passive systems starting at 399, and you picked one of the most expensive set CDT has ever offered. I get your point that pre-made sets can be a lot more expensive than doing your own.
i chose that set because of the mounting depth advantage with the woofer - that is a slick set that has high sensitivity. And being the best it should sound the best, right? Besides, it's still cheaper than the Mille or Dynaudio or HAT Legatia 3-way sets that probably wouldn't fit.

i expect physical mounting depth will play a role given the woofer goes into the dash.

any of the CDT Ultra-Slim line would be suitable physically, but the CL line has much lower sensitivity and we're talking about sheer output here.

CDT Audio CL 642SL

i do disagree that a speaker is only suited for "quiet environments". at 100dBA of output, road noise is moot. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif overcoming road noise is as simple as having a speaker/amp system that is capable of being >10dB above noise.

without knowing available mounting depth, it's difficult to suggest any woofer.

any of the CDT Ultra-Slim line would be suitable physically, but the CL line has much lower sensitivity and we're talking about sheer output here.CDT Audio CL 642SL
I use the CL-6SL woofer in my center channel and on my bench setup next to my work computer. It's definitely not a replacement for a "regular" depth woofer in terms of output and low end extension. I've only been recommending this woofer for a few customers with doors that have really crappy factory mounts, such as late 90s Hondas.

I use the CL-6SL woofer in my center channel and on my bench setup next to my work computer. It's definitely not a replacement for a "regular" depth woofer in terms of output and low end extension. I've only been recommending this woofer for a few customers with doors that have really crappy factory mounts, such as late 90s Hondas.
good to know!

I run the 3-way Milles in a hybrid passive (3+1) and active (6.5) setup, and while I love them, I do not think they will satisfy you in this particular application. I'd go for the Polyglass Focals if you can swing them. The Milles (and pretty much all of the higher end Hertz tweeters, which are the only ones worth it - High Energy and up) need a quiet listening environment to really shine - something your Jeep, is not. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Btw, more pics of the rig! That thing looks amazing. I just remembered you mentioning your ADS comps - I have heard an older 2-way set, and the Hertz tweeters kinda remind me of them. I'd compare the old school MB Quarts to today's Focal. If that helps your decision...
Thanks for the information. Yeah, the Jeep is not a quiet listening environment, top down or up! But I seem to prefer it over our other vehicles. My Armada seems to sit in the garage most of the time. I have less than 6 thousand miles on it in the year I've had it.

Here are a few shots of the Heap.

DSC_0123_zpse13972fe.jpg

IMG_0365_zps10c130de.jpg

a08d459b-4cff-4958-8084-204998d7fd54.jpg

i chose that set because of the mounting depth advantage with the woofer - that is a slick set that has high sensitivity. And being the best it should sound the best, right? Besides, it's still cheaper than the Mille or Dynaudio or HAT Legatia 3-way sets that probably wouldn't fit.i expect physical mounting depth will play a role given the woofer goes into the dash.

any of the CDT Ultra-Slim line would be suitable physically, but the CL line has much lower sensitivity and we're talking about sheer output here.

CDT Audio CL 642SL

i do disagree that a speaker is only suited for "quiet environments". at 100dBA of output, road noise is moot. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif overcoming road noise is as simple as having a speaker/amp system that is capable of being >10dB above noise.

without knowing available mounting depth, it's difficult to suggest any woofer.
Well, I've started tearing down and mocking up. I am going to do the mid/tweet's in an A-pilar pod. A quick mock up looks like I have a decent amount of room for drivers from 2 to 3 inches. 4 gets a little to obtrusive.

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

I am probably going to ditch the stock dash woofer location and build a kick panel pod. With a little judicious cutting I can fit almost 5 inches of depth and I can run the enclosure up along the fire wall behind the dash for some extra interior volume.

I am probably going to trash the under front seat 10 inch sub idea, and build under the rear seats for a pair of 12's that handle small enclosures. Like this...(not mine, pulled from a Jeep forum..)

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

So the changes to my configuration means I will probably be hanging on to my Reference 405's and using them in the Armada. I'll need to come up with a smaller footprint amp to run the component set in the front, and the rear sound bar speakers. And of course one for the subwoofers. They are going to have to be fairly small as I will have to get them in under the dash most likely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.