What to do about broken tinsel lead..

Participant count
  • Participant list

Captain_Ahab
5,000+ posts

BUCK FAMA
Da Dirty Souf
Once again, another L7 of mine has broken a tinsel lead.. The first one I had broke right as it approached 3 months of age... I sent it back to Kicker and got another one.. This one has lasted for almost 9 months.. Now once again, a tinsel lead has snapped about 1/2" from the connection to the voice coil.. I have read that you can resolder them, and it MAY hold..Maybe i could find someone around here to do it.. What causes broken tinsel leads?? The first time I am positive it was due to playing 20hz test tones.. Overexcursion.. But this time it just came out of nowhere.. I really dont want to drop $260 on another sub.. But I guess the 2006 model may be worth it.. Mine is the 2004..

If i do happened to get it soldered back, would it be best to sell it as soon as its fixed?

when mine came detached. i simply called kicker, and they replaced my 04' model that was under warranty with an 06'. then they exchanged my other 04' for another 06' to make em' match. give em a call or send em an email.

heeeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeee whatcha do if u repair it yourself...

you find tensil lead wire that is specially made for subs...i bought some from RE a while back before the price hike, send me 5 bucks on paypal and ill send u a whole bunch of it

cut the tensil about 2 mm from the cone (so it's very very very short)....solder that to the new tensil. then you superglue or expoy that soldered spot TO the cone....let that dry. when it dry's it should have the new tensil coming out of the glued on spot...you dont want that soldered joint you just made flying around, gotta be glued on there nicely.....make sure the glue doesnt get on the spider...

make sure you cut the new tensil lead to be as close to the length of a regular tensil for that sub (measure the good ones, compensate for the glue job). if it's too short then it'll snap, if it's too long it'll slap on the spider and tear a hole....

i did this for 2 differant xxx15's.....both repair jobs lasted a long long time....in fact the repair job on one of them out lasted the voice coil with a **** ton of abuse which inevitably killed the sub....but the tensils were fine dispite the abuse.....other sub belongs to my best friend, and it's still kicking nicely.....

i have a goodbit of the wire extra so if you want this wire send me a lil somethign somethign @ jomammakinky1@yahoo.com. BTW if you use regular wire it wont work due to it not being nearly as flexible as this good **** here......

that or you could shipem to me and ill fixem up for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif if you wanna go that route we could work something out.....im in 32826 orlando FL

when mine came detached. i simply called kicker, and they replaced my 04' model that was under warranty with an 06'. then they exchanged my other 04' for another 06' to make em' match. give em a call or send em an email.
OT but that is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

on topic, PM polecat and ask if there's any hope. just see what he says, worth a shot considering how far they went to make this guy happy i don't see it as being out of the question

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.