When I went to begin doing the big 3 upgreade

Participant count
  • Participant list
When I went to start the Big 3 upgrade for my car I noticed that on the positive terminal of my alt there is no room left after all of the stock wire is mounted going to my fuse box, then to my battery. the nut on the end of the positive terminal is just on the edge of the positive terminal, and around the terminal itself there is a rubber surround which stock wire is connected to over it which would make the big 3 difficult in itself. Any recommendations if I still kind of want to preform the big 3? going to be running 1500w rms and the stock cable going to the fuse box, then the battery is 8 gauge, if not maybe bigger.

I will be posting pictures tomorrow after I get home from work if anyone would need them.

(this is a stock alt) - 2003 honda accord coupe v6 3.0L

edit : here are pictures of a similar looking alt. you can see how short the post is :

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/USL0/391762/01468.oap?year=2003&make=Honda&model=Accord&vi=1415630&ck=Search_01468_1415630_-1&pt=01468&ppt=C0330

Could you replace your current battery terminals with an aftermarket one that would give you more contact points? I also have a short stud on my Hyundai Tiburon alternator but was able to still fit my connection. Looking at the photos I think you could still fit it in there but it will be close and depending on where your Alternator is located could be a pita.

you should be able to replace that alternator post with a longer one, i know my AD244's stud unscrews. be very careful with that positive wire though... your entire engine bay is a ground so disconnect terminals when working with it, ask me how i got a chunk of my alternator case blown off lol. an 8 gauge charging wire is pretty measly for what we do, i'd upgrade it to at least 4 gauge OFC.

your battery terminals just need to be replaced with something longer so you can fit more terminals on there

dont reconnect the factory wire to the alt. upgrade the alt charge wire directly to the batt and then run a new line from the batt to where the stock alt wire went to.

you should be able to replace that alternator post with a longer one, i know my AD244's stud unscrews. be very careful with that positive wire though... your entire engine bay is a ground so disconnect terminals when working with it, ask me how i got a chunk of my alternator case blown off lol. an 8 gauge charging wire is pretty measly for what we do, i'd upgrade it to at least 4 gauge OFC.
your battery terminals just need to be replaced with something longer so you can fit more terminals on there
Where about would I look to get a new bolt? are there specific ones I would be looking for or just one that would fit.

and yeah i'm doing 1/0 gauge ofc I have 30 feet for the install, even if i don't do the big3

Generally the factory ground wire is barely even adequate for all the factory accessories. I'd at least upgrade that on any car whether or not I was even running aftermarket electronics.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.