Which amp for DD subwoofers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MarkAm

Hello there guys. I am a total newb when it comes to building a system. But I'm giving it a shot. I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado extended cab. So far I have installed a Kenwood KDC X997 head unit, Focal integration 6.5" components in front doors, Polk 4x6's in rear doors, and two Polk 8" subs in a prefab box under rear seat. The Focals are powered by an Arc Audio KS300.4 amp. The Polks in the rear door are powered by the head unit. The (outdated) subs are powered by a (outdated) Phoenix Gold Octane R-4.0.2. I want to replace the subs and box. I was considering going with either 2 or 4 of the DD shallow 8" subs in a ported box that i can have made in a local shop. I haven't decided on an amp to power them yet. Any input on a compatible amp? And is 4 subs overkill or will two 8's be enough? I'm looking for SQ over SL. I listen to everything across the board but mostly hard rock. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Go with the 4. 8s. If the box is done right you'll love them. I did but wasn't enough boom for me as far as amp. It depends on the power handling

2-8's can sound very nice under that seat.

If you want to go w/ 4-8's or 2-10's, do a 3" seat lift. It will give you ALOT more space for the box.

4 DD508's on an M1c would be a great match.

Thanks for your input guys. Will i have to lift the seat 3" if i go with 4 8" subs? I was told that DD makes a shallow sub that comes in 8". I think that would allow me to put four of them in a custom made ported box under the rear seat without lifting it.

Ok. Thanks alot. I appreciate the help. I'm going to take a look at the M1c that Canaan mentioned. Any other suggestions in regards to an amp that will power these subs?

I was just rereading what canaar wrote and I started thinking whether or not it would benefit me either in sound or in money to go with either two 10"s, two 12's, or even two 15"s versus four 8" subs. It looks like it would save me quite a bit of $$ to go with two 12"s. But with that said, obviously I'm losing out on quite a bit of loudness. Again I'm going for SQ over SL. But I do want it to be heard. And then if I go with 2 speakers vs 4 speakers I'm assuming I wouldn't need as much power to run them? I could be wrong there. I'm sure the best way to decide on this is to listen to both setups. Unfortunately there is nothing in my area that has a set up like that. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again in advance guys.

This is a list of prices on the DD site. The savings would not be astronomical, but it would be a savings. The big question is how much sq/sl will I be losing or gaining by changing my original plan? I like to save a buck as much as the next guy, but I don't want to replace a very low end system with another low end system.

508$139 each

510$149 each

512$159 each

515$189 each

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.