Which preouts to use?

Participant count
  • Participant list

baker440ex

CarAudio.com Newbie
Maine
Hey guys, just installed a Pioneer double din head unit in my truck. Install went well (first double din)
This unit has 3 outputs for RCA cables (front, rear, and subwoofer) I am used to single din with only one output.

I am running a two channel amplifier and a single 10" woofer. I connected RCA cables to the "subwoofer output" on the head unit and got nothing.
I then switched to rear output and it works now. The instruction manual is vague.

Which is the correct output I should be using on the head unit? Just want to make sure its correct and not leaving any performance on the table.

Lol, yeah like at least 10 years ago. No more wheeler, running a cr250 now and a cbr954 on the road. Thanks for the response. Ok i didn't realize i needed to turn subwoofer on in the settings. It works now. I think I am getting better base through the rear output however. I have my all my amp settings turned to the middle. Except for gain which is up about 1/4 turn from 0. Thoughts?

LPF should be around 80hz
Subsonic filter or HPF should be around 10hz lower than port tuning frequency.
Amplifiler gain should be set to match headunit RCA output voltage. If you have 4 volts out the RCA output set the gain to 4 volts. If 2 volts set gain to 2 volts.

Subwoofer output level in the headunit settings should be all the way up to get proper output voltage.

That's awesome I joined that forum in like 2004 but haven't been on it in at least 10 years. Still have a LTZ400.

Ok that's a little above my head. I have wired a handful of similar systems as a kid but never anything serious. Usually just played with settings until it sounded the way I liked. Will it hurt anything to run it off the rear output. The sub is a dual voice coil and I have the two terminals briged inside the box w a jumper wire and then outside the box I have the two channels of the amp bridged. All my amp settings are in the center. I do have an X-OVER button which can be set to LPF, FULL or HPF
I do have a multimeter but not really familar with it. Usually stick with the circuit tester.

What subs are you using? Which amp? For an " easy" fix, use the subwoofer output on the Pioneer. Find out the nominal and maximum recommended frequency response for the speakers . Then use your crossover to set the low pass filter to match the maximum frequency response for the sub. Set the EQ on the Pioneer to Flat. Does the resistance on your amp match the subs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

baker440ex

CarAudio.com Newbie
baker440ex
Maine
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from