Which Subs have you owned, And what did you like the most?

(2) duals in a plastic bandpass

(2) sony 12' hex subs or wtf they are

(1) 15" type R

(1) 18" Fi Q

(1) 15" SI MAG

mag wins in every single category hands down, even cost cause i picked up a used one for just a tad over 300.

mag 15, l7 15, 4 idmax 12s (not all at once), 3 type r 12s, rl-p 18, 2 avalanche 12s, 2 audiobahn alum12qs, 3 audiobahn alum10qs, comp 8, avalanche 18. My favorites were the IDmaxs and the mag. The mag is quite a bit louder with similar sq, but I just love the sound of the IDmax. The rl-p 18 was the loudest by far, kinda miss that thing.

I've heard many, many different subs but I have only owned three.

The three subs are as follows:

RE SE 12"

Eclipse Ti 12"

JBL GTI MKII 12"

The JBL has by far sounded the best sealed and the SE ported. I haven't ran the JBL Ported because I don't have the space for it but it wins hands down out of the three I've owned.

I've had a couple of setups...

2 12" MTX thunder 6000s : first setup,they were a good buy at $50 for the pair.

PPI DCX 12: was ok in a tiny sealed enclosure, had potential to be a decent sub.

4 Ascendant audio 8's: Liked this setup alot, was really impressive in both SQ and SPL for budget woofers.

Mach 5 audio MJ18: this is my current setup, this thing is a beast for the price. Probably my favorite setup so far, mainly because I like budget woofers that outperform their price range.

one 15" aa arsenal -- good sq, nice overall frequency

one 18" havoc -- better sq than the arsenal, loud, crisp, deep

four tang bang 6.5" neo -- amazing driver for the size, they really are subs, wouldnt use them as mid-bass

two tc-10oem -- amazing sq , loud, LOWS, excursionnnn, super long-throw

the best drivers are the two tc-10oem and the 18" , hard to say though cuz i havent used the havoc to its full potential yet.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

2 - 10" type e alpines, my first subs actually liked the sound of them better than the JLs car toys had. and they were cheap too.

cvx 10, had this on a d3 800.1 but i couldnt get a dual 2 so it only had 500 or so watts on it. wasnt impressed. got a sundown 1500d and put the kicker back on it while my friend borrowed my mag. my thoughts changed completely. this sub is bad ass and sounds f'ing awesome for being sealed in 1 cube.

diamond D6 10, sounded nice but had a unnatural woosh to it on some songs. may be due to the ported box i made where the port walls werent 100% perfect. much perferred the cvx

mag 12 (newest gen thats out) ported in 2cubes at 30hz. loud as hell and sounds amazing. would love to have a second, or move up to the 15 or get the newest ones if they're leaps and bounds better. Only down side of this sub is the cost, mostly because once you have one, the desire for more comes and that adds up quick at 400+ a pop //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

First subs- Pyle Pros (1987-88) had four 8's and four 12's Running free-air, Thought they were the ****. Then moved to Kickers, eight 10's again free-air. Really enjoyed that system. Then I started competing and went to Petras Prowler line. Put 4 10's in an iso bandpass box. Best "sounding" bass I have had to that point. Got out of car stereo for a while, came back with some MTX 12's and they ******. Now I am rolling with 2 Critical Mass UL12's and 4 Critical Mass 8's and they are truly "WORTH EVERY PENNY". Unbelievable output and SQ

MTX Terminator 12s:

Decent output for back then and I can't really comment on sound quality.

MTX 3000 10s:

Disappointing.

MTX 6000 12s:

Decent output and was pleasing sealed. It didn't sound good at all ported.

MTX 8000 12s:

Loud and sounded like ass whether sealed or ported.

Rockford HE2 15s:

Loud as piss but with horrible low end. I didn't like these on music and didn't keep them long.

Kicker Solobaric round 8:

Excellent sound quality and very transparent. It didn't have much low end sealed but did much better with that when ported.

Acoustic Elegance AV12:

Excellent sound quality whether sealed or ported and nice low end. Upper frequency extension is lacking and it's not extremely loud but a very nice sub all around.

Image Dynamics IDQv2 12:

Best sounding woofer I have owned but really lacks low end sealed and I crave more low end when tuned to 28hz in car.

JL w6AE 10:

Very nice sounding sub but like the IDQ, it lacked low end whether ported or sealed. This sub sounded almost as nice as the IDQ.

So far, my favorite is a toss up between the IDQ and the AV12. If I was going to choose one or the other though, I would go with the AV12.

JBL LCSW1200(Loud + Clear series circa 1998)- I got this in a buy one get one deal at C.C when i turned 16. I sold the other 12" and kept the one for my self. The Sub didn't require much power and was pretty musical. However it didn't get too low or loud. Wasn't too bad.

Kicker 12" XPL (circa '99)- I had this running off of an Infinity 202A pushing 600 rms, sub rated at 400rms, and it pounded for a 12". It was known as in SPL sub and i felt it delivered. It was also a decent SPL sub which i felt it didn't get credit for.

MTX6000 15" circa (2000)- I wanted to make the move up to a 15" and i decided to give MTX a shot. I had heard good things at the time about them. Maybe i was an idiot but i blew 3 of these things, and i'm not one to go crazy with my equipment. Granted i was running my 202a amp at the time and these were rated at 350rms, i had my gain at 1/3. I think the biggest factor was running them in a sealed box but i don't like the sound of ports. Sub still ****** IMO.

Kicker 15" Solo-Baric Round (2001)- This sub was the perfect sub IMO. It went crazy low and got insanely loud at the right fq. The only drawback was it wasn't good for rock or music without low fq. tones. Thankfully at the time i mostly listened to rap so it didn't matter. Anymore not so much. I still have this sub sitting in perfect condition all covered and waiting to be used.

JL Audio 12w1 (2007)- I just got back into car audio this year when i bought my new car. I wanted a sytem that was balanced and had great SQ. This sub has been great and doesn't require much power to get it moving. I am using a 4 channel Alpine MRP-F550 with 2 channels bridged giving it about 250rms. Eventually i might put my Infinity amp and Solo 15" back in and use my current amp to power my speakers but right now i'm content.

2- 12" Audiobahns in a prefab bandpass off egay. Absolutely ****ing terrible subs

then

2- 12" CVR's. They werent bad for what they were. got decently loud.

and then...

my current 18" Fi BTL. By far the best sub out of what i've owned.

Started with:

Black Magic 10 inch x 2- sounded loud off 100 watts and had decent sq

Crunch 10 inch-in a bandpass box and it sounded decent for what it was

Crunch 12 inch x 2- had them ib and the trunk wasn't sealed off good, sounded o.k

Jl audio w0 12 x 2- loud as hell off 175 watts and sounded good in a sealed box

Mtx Blue Thunder 12 inch x 2- pretty loud and had good sq

Mtx 6000 12 inch x 2 - had 360 watts on them and they were loud but sq was o.k

Orgasms aka Grim Reeper 12x2- never got them installed properly, sounded good

Kicker L7 12 - loud off 500 watts but lacked sq

Ed e15a - was loud and had great sq

Ed 16ov2 x 2 - only had one installed and it was pretty loud and had good sq

Mag 15 inch x 2 - loudest set up i've had with amazing sq. Have the two in a sealed box and can't wait to try them ported

Favorite is the Mag, truly a great woofer for the daily driver. Gets loud ass hell and the sq is amazing. I really can't wait to try them ported. I've also heard many other set ups.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.