Why are new Alpine head units so crappy?

Don't fool yourself, none of the HUs are what they were a few years ago. The manufacturers when where the market took them. Their job is not to be loyal to the small percentage of the customers who want a few things, their job is to make money for their shareholders. Catering to a niche market isn't going to do that. The mass audience cares about being able to connect and control their iPod. They don't want or need a complex EQ or crossover or time alignment. They don't want a motorized face (it was nice to be able to set the face angle on my 9813 but I wouldn't pay extra for that alone). They want a relatively inexpensive way to connect their iPod, power four basic speakers and listen to the radio. They really don't much care how pristine the sound quality is.

You can't say that all the Pioneers are high quality. Same with the Eclipses either. They have their budget models that are just as chintzy as the lower level Alpines. I'd still put the top of the line Alpines against anything anyone else has out there, too, in terms of both build quality, features and performance. The 9887 isn't Alpine's top of the line unit, remember.

I almost went eclipse, but I wanted something that plays DivX. The Alpine only had navi if you buy the blackbird which is astronomically overpriced. So, I went Kenwood this time. Can't wait to try it.

7892 in one car and 9885 in another. i prefer the 9885 only because of the ipod connector and the fact that it matches my interior lights perfectly. 7892 is still a solid deck.

I just bought an IDA-X001 and it doesn't look or feel cheap at all, in fact it feels quite solid and well put together. I don't have any kind of motorization or flip-down stuff on it, but all the buttons have a solid feel and don't wiggle around or look like they're about to fall off, the jog wheel works amazingly well, and again, feels very solid and durable, and the faceplate locks in very firmly. Best quality head unit I've owed, at least from a quality of construction standpoint.

As for the features, I don't know. I have a simple system, my amps handle the crossover work, and I don't run any sort of EQ. How many real SQ people actually use their head unit to handle all the sound processing anyway? Almost everybody runs an external unit.

As far as single din decks go, it didn't get any better after the 9815. I like the 9835, but would rather have the 9815. Too bad the 9815 I have sitting in my closet has a faulty CD loading mechanism. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

The old alpine decks just looked much nicer, too.

I have the W205/H701/C701 combo. It's my first Alpine deck ever, and it doesn't feel cheap at all.
Why do you use the external c701 controller with a w205 that controls the h701... does not sound right.

I have noticed the quality drop big time, we noted it in many posts after 2004. The two best decks I have owned from alpine were the flip down 7949 which was bullet proof & the 9835. I have owned 3 9835's in different vehicles, never had a problem with one of them. My buddies 9855 was a nightmare of issues with the glide touch and all. That is when I feel alpine jumped the shark for the 2nd time. I currently have a d310 & h701 combo. I could not be more happy but as one guy pointed out, my combo cost a lot more than others so the quality better be there.

On the same note, eclipse quality has gone in waves as well. Same with most manufacturers. They get it dead on one year, then the following years they go to crap only to rise again with a stellar product.

Why do you use the external c701 controller with a w205 that controls the h701... does not sound right.
Cause he's crazy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I do the same thing, now, though. I just like the look of the unit. That's all the reason I need, lol. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

In "normal" SQ competition seat position (all the way back and reclined), the W205 is really far. Tuning turns into an "ab master" sesion. That might explain my "six pack" but you can get tired. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

LOL. j/k.

With the C701 you have all the controll at your fingertips.

Cause he's crazy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I do the same thing, now, though. I just like the look of the unit. That's all the reason I need, lol. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
So let me get this straight.

I'm using it to tune better, and you are using it because you like how it looks?

Ok, now who's the crazy one?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

j/k

So let me get this straight.I'm using it to tune better, and you are using it because you like how it looks?

Ok, now who's the crazy one?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

j/k
haha, you know the reason I bought mine originally, right? I was going to get a carPC and needed one to keep the h701 controls.

Now I don't need it but I'm keeping it because it's pretty! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I have the 9833, and I hate it ... lol.

The controls are horrible, and the xover settings are clugey at best. If pioneer head units werent so noisey (engine whine and the like) id probably switch back to them.

Wouldn't trade my 9835 for anything, IMO the best HU I've ever owned. Only had one issue with it, the terminals that connected the faceplate and provided it power started to corrode which resulted in the screen blacking out and lack of control. After repair she was as good and as sexy as new. I remember paying close to 600 for the thing as soon as it was released. Yikes, but well worth it. As far as the new products from alpine, they don't even compare. The functionality and customizability of the older alpines far outstretch the capabilities of the newer generations that are replacing them.

To date I still have my 9835, collecting dust right now, but one day she will shine in my new car.

Just got my basically brand new 7949 in the mail today. Came with everything. I am happy.

It should go nice with my era-g320.

7949.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.