would this blow my amp??

Participant count
  • Participant list

snb778
5,000+ posts

blaugh!!!!
REALLY NEED SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!

Ok here is the deal. If any of you saw my last thread I started, it was for my first box I built for a 15" XXX. I was really excited to get it done and put it in my car.

It is a dual 2 ohm wired in parallel down to 1 ohm. Its being powered by an autotek stealth 1600.1 which is supposedly 1 ohm stable. I have a distro block with 4 guage running in and out I believe. I have a 100 amp ANL fuse on it. The fuse in the amp is 80 amps. I turned the radio up to 25/35 (alpine deck) and it blew the fuse within 5 seconds. Any ideas why this could have happened??

I know someone else using this same amp running it at about .5 ohms, maybe just under and he has never had a problem...also has a 100 amp ANL fuse.

MY QUESTION IS..........if I put a 125 amp fuse in there, do you think I will blow my amp, or is that ok to try.???? Because for not even having this sub pounding to its full potential...it shouldnt have blown a 100 amp fuse...

how hard was the AMP working? SET the gains correctly, or at least turn them all the way down to start with. IF you have them too high the amp could/probably drew too much current and popped your fuse. The ANL and blade fuses react differently/quicker to the current. You might want to read exactly WHAT the on board fuse protects.

"You might want to read exactly WHAT the on board fuse protects. "

what do you mean?

Its running at half gain...but the sub still isnt really being pushed to hard yet with where the setting on my deck are at.

"You might want to read exactly WHAT the on board fuse protects. "
what do you mean?

Its running at half gain...but the sub still isnt really being pushed to hard yet with where the setting on my deck are at.
the WHAT means that, on at least 1 amp, the fuses are to protect the speaker leads from shorting. On MOST amps it is to protect the amp from drawing too much current for it to handle.

Without a DMM on the output of your amp, you don't really KNOW how hard the sub is being pushed. You could be driving the amp to clipping already, ya just don't know.

You've already blown a 100a fuse...that USUALLY equates to ~1000w of power AND it was 20% more than what your amp has for protection. Just be careful, that's all.

*edit*

The short answer from your original post is NO, a 125a fuse won't hurt. The amp has protection built in. You fuse the wire, not the gear. G/L.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.