WTF? Low battery warning only at high rev?

AltarCrystal
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ohio
I'm not sure WHY this is happening, but when my car goes over 3.5k-4k RPM or so (I'm just going off of an estimate, I never checked the gauge while the light was on), my low battery warning light comes on. After shifting or the lowering the RPM, the light immeditally goes off.

I'm not really runnign anythign stressful. Just the one amp in my sig (powering the coaxals), a power inverter (150w) and a hard drive.

Any clue what's wrong? I had my alternator tested awhile back, and it was fine, I forget what it was poutting out (I've been out of that stuff for a good 6 months now, memory is horriable) but it was putting out what it was rated at. Car is a 2004 Mustang.

It's not putting out enough at high RPMs. Check the cables first, just to be sure. O'Reilly and Autozone only test alternators to 3k rpm, which is considered "normal driving".

It's not putting out enough at high RPMs. Check the cables first, just to be sure. O'Reilly and Autozone only test alternators to 3k rpm, which is considered "normal driving".
I've checked the wires running from the battery, and they were all secure and no breaks or anything, I'll go though more throughly tomorrow if I can.

the cable would be bad all the time wouldnt it anyways try to ohm out the wire but to me it sounds like the belt pully or if you have a clutch in you alt it could be going out

Tensioner & belt definitely. Look at the underside of the belt that touches the pulleys. It should be farily dull in appearance not shiny. If it is, it may be the culprit.

A dull or shiny belt is something to be noticed by a trained eye, with the experience to make that comparison.

Here's what I'd do... Get some STP Belt Dressing... and a buddy. Have him gradually get on the gas until the light comes on. Spray a few quick spurts of belt dressing on the belt, and see if the light goes off. You should notice an ever-so-slight drop in RPMs when it grabs hold of the pulleys. If that doesn't work, take it down to idle, and repeat.

Also, a failing belt will usually squeal when you hit the gas quickly. Might also try a few drops of water on it while it's running to see if it will squeal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.