2 pieces acting screwy

Participant count
  • Participant list
k my crossover isnt turning off like everything else when i shut my engine off, therefor draining my battery. i bought a simple on/off switch and put it in the pos wire until i can take it to a shop. its getting its pwr and rem from my h/u so is the prob most likely with the h/u or inside the x-over?

the 2nd is with my sub amp. it aint turning on! have a 1/0 wire going to a dist block and from there a 4 ga goin to my components amp and a 4 ga going to the sub amp. i hooked the sub wire to a diff terminal in the dist block and still nothing. i dont have a 12v tester so heh i stuck my allen wrench in the screw of the 12v side and it sparked wonderfully whilst i loosened it so it is getting pwr. didnt check the neg however there were no sparks when i loosened the remote screw. i have a rem going from h/u to component amp to sub amp. i checked and the rem wire is still secure at both ends. i couldnt do any further investigation because i dont have the right size open end wrench to take the screw out so i can unplug the 1/0ga from the batt. i need an 11mm but it seems like no one wants to sell that size individually. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

not sure if this is the cause fo sho, but one day i had my truck's back window open (the sub amp is on top of my sub box, right by the window) and it began to rain rather suddenly. amp only got a tiny bit of water on it and most of the top is perforated. didnt smell any smoke or see sparks when i started engine up. also on a different day my dist block came unsecured and bumped into my sub amp and made a LOUD pop. could either have these been the ultimate doom for this thing? tis still under warranty but i dont have the papers or the packaging. got it off of ebay and left both in tx when i drove to north carolina //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif but ive sent an MA audio amp off before without the shop asking for proof of the warranty and i got back a new updated model and didnt have to pay but for shipping.

one last thing then im done i swear. on my batt i have a side terminal but the screw is too fat to fit through the ring terminal i have on the 1/0ga. i could simply just drill the hole bigger right? BUT i may not need to since i have two screws i can put stuff on on the terminal thats on the actual batt post.

Thats got me completely confused but from the gist of it I would geuss that you need to use a relay in your system to get the stuff to turn on and off properly.

not sure if this is the cause fo sho, but one day i had my truck's back window open (the sub amp is on top of my sub box, right by the window) and it began to rain rather suddenly. amp only got a tiny bit of water on it and most of the top is perforated. didnt smell any smoke or see sparks when i started engine up. also on a different day my dist block came unsecured and bumped into my sub amp and made a LOUD pop. could either have these been the ultimate doom for this thing? tis still under warranty but i dont have the papers or the packaging. got it off of ebay and left both in tx when i drove to north carolina //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif but ive sent an MA audio amp off before without the shop asking for proof of the warranty and i got back a new updated model and didnt have to pay but for shipping.

When your dist block came loose it may have arced and blown something inside your amp which sounds like what has happened. Water inside your amp wouldn't hurt anything unless you powered it up before the water could evaporate.

one last thing then im done i swear. on my batt i have a side terminal but the screw is too fat to fit through the ring terminal i have on the 1/0ga. i could simply just drill the hole bigger right? BUT i may not need to since i have two screws i can put stuff on on the terminal thats on the actual batt post.
What I would do is buy a pair of side post terminals for your battery. It has the bigger size thread that goes into the battery and then it has another smaller sized thread with a screw that you can attach your equipment to. Here is a link for what I'm talking about. Its the one at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/web/prods/battery_terminals.asp

hmm i see so that is like an adapter. im sure a shop around here carries something like that. but is there something better about the side terminal than the top? the ring term i have on the + post right now has 2 separate screws to put stuff on. i have one screw just for the audio. hey but what do i know

hmmm that arc thing kinda scares me. i mean it did sound like someone shooting a marble from a sling shot into the side of my truck. stupid thing is that it was like 3 weeks ago so i forget if i had it on and turned up, or turned down, or no pwr going to it at all. ah well.

ok got both fixed. guy at the shop told me that for some reason the xover was being extra sensitive and was letting the 4v keep it on so he wired the rem to the ignition.

with the amp my ground was bad. i had used some left over 4 ga and had temporarily stuck the remaining amount of wire i had as the ground, which also had the inline fuse still in it ahahaha. i guess when someone threw that golf ball out of the airplane and it hit my truck i mean when the dist block touched the amp, it just popped the fuse. so i find this and cut out about 2 ft of the grnd and hook it back up, and wallah

also comforting news that the guy said shitty grounds can cause the amp to go into prot quicker than it should. which mine had been doing and i was getting mad because i only had everything about halfway and after like 15 min of regular old listening its shutting off.

but anyway everythig is sovled, yay.

wow.. a shop guy who actually knew what he was talking about. He should get a massage from a hot asian with big boobs. Unless he's gay. I'm sure Tom can help him then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.