2ohm or 4 ohm load

kcalb_semaj

I plan on bridging the connection from the two channel amp to a 12 inch sub. I understand how to do this, but what determines the ohm load? Curious because I know that if I go under 4 ohms, it'll damage the amp, but how do I determine or configure my setup in order to assure that my amp gets no less than a 4 ohm load?

The voice coils (either 1 or 2 probably) and how they are wired determine the ohm load on the amp.

What brand and model are your amp and sub. This information would aid in giving you good information.

Flyer

With that amp you can wire it a couple of ways to the alpine sub. First of all there isn't a single voice coil version of the type s alpine as far as I can tell. They are either dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm. That being the case (assuming there is a stereo/mono switch on the amp) either of them could be wired to not over load your amp and still get maximum output. For simplicity, I would suggest the dual 2 ohm, bridge the amp and series the voice coils. That will give you the Bridged RMS Output Power (4 Ohms) 200x1

Flyer

so that wut i can do to bridge my solobaric l5 15" on to my 2 channel audiobahn amp?? its a a80002t?? i need help getting my amp to give it enough power to pump my sub.

thanks

How bout me I have a hifonincs eagle amp, 4ch. I hace the front channels on some comps. I want to use the other 2 channels on my subwoofer its an image dynamics 8" dual 4ohm voice coil, how could I wire this up?

You guys looking for "my answer" would be much better off if you did some reading to understand how this stuff works. It's not rocket science, just basic electrical knowledge.

series loads: add up impedance to get total impedance

example: two 4 ohm speakers in series, add them up to get 8 ohms total

example: dvc 2 ohms each, in series gives 4 ohms

parallel loads: 1/(1/impedance + 1/impedance) or however many speakers are in parallel

example: two 4 ohm speakers in parallel 1 / (1/4 + 1/4) = 1 / (.25 + .25) = 1 / .5 = 2 ohms

example: dvc 2 ohms each, in parallel 1 / (1/2 + 1/2) = 1 / (.5 + .5) = 1 / 1 = 1 ohm

example: three 4 ohm speakers in parallel 1 / (1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4) = 1 / (.25 + .25 + .25) = 1 / .75 = 1.333 ohms

Yes, I uderstand how to find the imedance. So, I could wire it to 2 ohms on 1 channel and get 80w (not enough). And bridging the 2 rear channels really isn't an option, because it is only stable to 4 ohms right. My only other choice is running each voice coil on a seperate channel. This would only give me 100w (50watts per channel at 4 ohms x 2 channels). I'm not even sure if this would work right. I'm running this off of my stock HU if that makes a diff. because I'm using a LOC. So what would be my best option?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.