A few enclosure questions!

Participant count
  • Participant list

94GMC

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum! Anyways, I have a few questions that hopefully one of ya'll can help me with! I'm not looking for a ground shaking bass performance, just a nice added thump to pull the entire system together!

I'm currently building an enclosure for my 94' Chevy 2500 Extended Cab short box, the enclosure will be mounted under neath the rear seat on the drivers side. So I don't have a whole lot of room to work with here, I was recommended by Kicker tech to build the box to between .75 - 1.0 cubic feet of air volume for the bass driver I bought. I originally wanted to have a forward firing enclosure, but due to issues with space that wasn't possible. That brings us to my dilemma;

I barely would have enough room to down fire the sub, but I have plenty to run the sub up firing towards the bottom of the rear seat.

So my first question is this: If I counter sink the sub woofer so that the trim ring sits flush with the top of the enclosure (which is snug up against the bottom of the seat) am I going to loose performance? Or are there any draw backs or concern I should be aware of?

Second Question: Should I use poly-fill in the enclosure? (such as 50% fill) Also what is the proper break in procedure for the sub? Is there a certain volume I should play at for x number of time? Also, I listen to mostly rock, and country, But I do listen to some hip-hop also. How is the size of my enclosure going to perform versus a larger enclosure?

Specs:

Sub woofer: Kicker Comp10 10" 4ohm 150W RMS

Sub Amp: Kicker DX125.2 (will be running bridged)

Amp Kit: Kicker PK9 (8awg power and ground)

Enclosure: Custom build, Sealed, 5/8" MDF (approximately .85^3), located under rear seat

Vehicle: 1994 Chevy 2500 Extended Cab Shortbox

Thank you very much ahead of time for all your help! And sorry if I asked any dumb questions, I just want to get everything straight!

Dont worry about break in period...And I think your talking about a flush mount for the sub. In which case you need a double baffle and then just cut out the top baffle so the sub sits flush. Hope that makes sense, your performance should not be affected at all.
Flush mount will work like this. http://brazeauracing.com/540i/stereo11.jpg
Thanks for your reply! Yes, that's exactly what i was talking about! What I plan on doing is measuring the OD of the woofer trim ring, and then adding a 1/16"-1/8" to that measurement, and routing the hole out of the top of the enclosure. Then fastening another piece of MDF underneath that hole (so that I have 2-3" of to fasten it to the top board all the way around the hole), and then routing the mounting diameter of the woofer in that board so that it will sit flush with the top of the enclosure (or very close to flush)!

So I don't need to worry about breaking in the woofer? That is very good to know, as it seems I keep reading that everyone is so worried about properly breaking them in! I have quite a bit of experience in car audio, but I've never really done much with sub woofers!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.