Air Movement!

75MonteCarlo
10+ year member

pwned by the R
Subs make noise by making air move right? Well if I completely fill my trunk with a sub-box and amps, and there isn't much free air space left, wouldn't that yeild less volume than going with a less excessive system that leaves more trunk space?

On detail, i'm looking at (2) 15" Kicker L7's in a sealed box, running off a Rockford T20001bd.

Maybe go with 2 12"s for more volume? Or does airspace not matter at all, and its just how big and how hard the subs push, no matter how crammed in they are?

Thanks!

(2) 15" Kicker L7's in a sealed box, running off a Rockford T20001bd will b so loud...if you do it right...make it ported if u want it louder..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

like the person above said....2 12" ported is all you need...it'll be loud...but there maybe ways of buildin the box to fit 2 15" ported and get all the air space u need

that amp will do way more than its rated power for sure, me and my bud had a 15" L7 sealed with around 1250w and he blew a hole on the cone. I would do the 15's sealed.

i don't think anyone even answered the real question.

as long as you have enough space to build a proper box for the subs, the amount of "free" space wouldn't really matter. and actually its measured by pressure. and the smaller volume of "free" air in the car the easier it is to compres it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Well, since you're building in trunk, you'll probably want to fire them toward the rear. In this case I'd just suggest that you leave enough room on the sides and top to get the pressure into the cabin.

You'll find out soon enough that that is the main problem with trunk cars. Getting the bass into the cabin can at times be a challange.

I have trunk experience. I am currently breaking in my 2 Si d2 12's in the trunk of my 93 caprice. I have a huge ported box (5 cubes net, grosses about 7.3 cubes total) and I'm running them off my mid amp ATM, so they're only getting 300 watts each right now. I've left alot of room on the sides and some on top so they aren't choked as far as the pressure getting back to the cabin. Pretty much as long as you don't seal the front of the box off from the cabin you'll probably be fine.

Just try stuff out, IMO 2 12's would probably be enough for you, esp with that power.

i know if you put things in the trunk of a car with a system, it gets quieter. i dont know if this is from the reduced airspace, or maybe its between the woofers and the back of the trunk or what, i just know its louder with an empty trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.