----Amplifier Sound Quality-----

schackel
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
So i am finally going to buy a amp for some components.

I am wondering what kind of things influence the sound quality of the power a amp puts out. I want to run some nice speakers but i know with out a good amp the quality speakers are kinda worthless.

so what things do yo look for in a amps specs to know it will put out clean power?

I assume that Frequency response, signal-to-noise ratio, and Total Harmonic Distortion all play roles in this but what is a good range to look for in each of these for good sound quality?

thanks

Frequency response should be the same for virtually all amps (besides monoblock class D sub amps) of around 20-20000Hz. THD+N at rated power is probably the most important because by definition that is a measure of distortion + noise.

So i am finally going to buy a amp for some components.
I am wondering what kind of things influence the sound quality of the power a amp puts out. I want to run some nice speakers but i know with out a good amp the quality speakers are kinda worthless.

so what things do yo look for in a amps specs to know it will put out clean power?

I assume that Frequency response, signal-to-noise ratio, and Total Harmonic Distortion all play roles in this but what is a good range to look for in each of these for good sound quality?

thanks
I'm not going to teach you everything you need to know here, as I dont know it all either. However, the amp will have much less to do with how it sounds than the speakers do. Just get a known good quality amp that puts out the right power, and you will be fine.

I've come to the dramatic realization that changing individual drivers has a far greater impact than changing most amplifiers. When it comes to the amplifier that reproduces most of the musical content, i.e. the mids and highs, I look for the following:

1. High signal to noise ratio

2. 20 Hz to 20 kHz with +/- 1 db response across the whole spectrum

3. a reputable company

4. Class ab with certain exceptions

Also, any amplifier that does something more than amplifying the signal is a royal POS!

Largely, spec sheets are meaningless. They're sales tools. Witness THD that says nothing. If you want to find a good amplifier, you have to listen to it, and I don't mean on a soundboard. This does pose some difficulty, as car audio shops don't lend out gear. In my case, I bought a bunch of amplifiers over time, listened to them, and chose what worked for my needs.

I'm not going to teach you everything you need to know here, as I dont know it all either. However, the amp will have much less to do with how it sounds than the speakers do. Just get a known good quality amp that puts out the right power, and you will be fine.
that! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

buy a quality amp made by a reputable company/thread

Do you really think you're qualified to close the thread with your advice? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.