Can you wire a 2ch amp to each VC of a DVC sub?

bobo244
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Is it possible to wire a 2 ch amp to a DVC sub with each channel going to a Voice coil. I know if you wire 2 amps up to 1 sub that each amp must be tuned exactly the same or else the sub will be damaged. Since there is one 1 gain\bassboost\etc. know wont each channel be exaclty the same? So if each channel is sent to its own VC will that have any benefits to just bridging the amp?

Each channel would be seeing a 2 ohm load instead of the bridged channel seeing a 4 ohm load. I got my amp from a friend who got it from the swap shop so theres no specs on the amp. I just know its 2ohm stable and its 1200 watts(and since he bought it for 90 bucks new im guessing that its 1200 MAX)

Do not wire them up 1 coil per channel with a two channel amp. The left and right channels have a different signal to each of them. Your subwoofer will not like that.

T.J.

To get your ohm load of your drivers, take the ohm rating of your coils (provided they are the same), and divide that by the number of coils. So if your sub is dual 2 ohm, in parallel wiring you will get a 1 ohm load, in series you will get a 4 ohm load. If your sub is dual 4 ohm, you will get a 2 ohm load in parallel, and 8 ohm in series.

If your sub is dual 2 ohm, I would recommend series, because your amp is probably not 1 ohm stable. If your sub is dual 4 ohm, I would recommend trying to wire in parallel, as you will lower the ohm load, and get more power from your amp. (provided your amp is 2 ohm stable).

If you have questions about wiring, there is a sticky on the forum that can tell you all about it.

T.J.

I think the answer you are looking for, if you have two of the same 2 channel amps is...

You need to make sure that each coil is seeing the same power and whatnot. As long as both amps are doing the same job, it should be fine. If they are both two channel amps, make sure you bridge them for maximum output, providing they can bridge the the impedance you need.

my sub didnt like it when i tried it just go ahead and bridge it at two ohm if your getting a new amp anyway. youll get more power but your amp might not like it if its not two ohm stable

Do not wire them up 1 coil per channel with a two channel amp. The left and right channels have a different signal to each of them. Your subwoofer will not like that.
T.J.
The left and right channels don't have a different signal unless you hook up left and right channel to the same amp. I think all you need to do is get one of those RCA Y cables to split the signal. That way you get two RCA outs for left channel and two for right. Just make sure both channels of the amp are operating on the same signal, whether it be left or right channel.

...unless I'm wrong. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I've never done that myself, so I can't promise it's right. Just my two cents.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.