Civic Engine Question

Actually, for street applications adding fored-induction to a V-TEC 4 works quite nicely becuase of the V-TEC's cam(s) having the "best of both worlds" in low speed drivability and idle and having high-end breathability. BUT, the boost must be limited to about 6-8 psi. due to the stock rods being a little weak, and the cast pistons are too high in compression and will melt under high heat. In most cases, the pistons, rods, and valve springs and retainers need to be upgraded to ensure durability, and to make boosting the engine worth it.

However in drag racing, (Pro, non-street) it is no advantage having the V-TEC system. You don't have to worry about a lopey idle or good cruising drivability in a serious drag setup; so a lot of teams that still run a Honda engine usually get a B18C non V-TEC, stroke it and add some fat custom turbo grind cams; it's a simpler setup for racing. In normally asperated (Non-turbo/supercharger) road racing or auto-crossing, the V-TEC would still have a pretty nice advantage due to more low end toque accelerating off corners.

The non V-TEC engines have the advantage if they can run a meaner set of cams; BUT unless the engine is boosted (Properly), bottom end torque will probably suffer.

Later.

I have read on integra-forums.net that factory GSR Cams are actually some of the best cams for boost because they can support up to 600 HP. Of course with that much HP you will need some major suspension upgrades, but I was wondering if this was true because the guy who wrote it seemed to be pretty knowledgable?

I have read on integra-forums.net that factory GSR Cams are actually some of the best cams for boost because they can support up to 600 HP. Of course with that much HP you will need some major suspension upgrades, but I was wondering if this was true because the guy who wrote it seemed to be pretty knowledgable?
i dunno about cams, but with 600bhp, the LEAST of your worries are suspension. I'd first question the driver's skill, then in the engine alone, to gain 600BHP from an engine that is less than 2 liters. Clutch, gearbox, driveshaft, injectors, the list goes on.

Then it comes to the body, the brakes and suspension. Too much to really say on a forum.

Many of the top IDRA and NHRA teams are pushing well above 700 hp now, and I don't think there using GSR cams anymore. However, you are correct that the stock GSR cams have beat out some after-market cams when putting the B-series under boost and the engine is not stroked to a larger displacement. For a boosted, street drivable car, the GSR cams work very well.

And yes, on any car that gets its horsepower amped up, it is wise to upgrade other things also; some of the usually recommended upgrades can mean the differance between a car that's easy to drive fast, and one that's a handfull to drive anywhere.

blah blah blah...........

I guess I can say that because I owned a boosted 00 Si, build bottom end, hondata, 18G greddy kit, gsr tranny with Kaaz lsd......etc. The exterior was completey stock and was a sleeper except for the gunmetal 15in rotas and the Apexi N1 exhaust.

Too many wannabes, ricers, and posers, the import game is a joke these days. I build my car back in 2000 and was one of the first to be boosted in the area.

I'm glad I grew out of the import scene and sold my car last year. Now it is all about audio and a nice plain luxury car. The Aruca Legend is my weapon of choice.

Too many wannabes, ricers, and posers, the import game is a joke these days. I build my car back in 2000 and was one of the first to be boosted in the area.
I'm glad I grew out of the import scene and sold my car last year. Now it is all about audio and a nice plain luxury car. The Aruca Legend is my weapon of choice.

definatley agreed with you there... the import scene was good while it last then you grow up and get a luxury car with a nice audio system and thats that weapon of choice: mercedes c230 kompressor

you could also take your car out for a drive and stomp on the gas until you are 500 rpms away from idle, im not sure when vtec kicks in, but i think its around 4500 -5000 rpms, if you feel a difference in power then you must have vtec.
Very hard to feel/hear a difference in power in a stock SOHC. DOHC's are alittle different.

D16Y8 I believe...or Z6? I don't remember.
y8, you got it.

i have a honda civic hatchback(1998) its a 1.4 engine with 89bhp. is it possible it replace it with a Vtech from a sismilar model or do i need extra ajustments life exhast and gearbox. i just need extra torque.
Smallest engine in a 6th gen Civic (96-00) is a 1.6l 107 hp engine. Did someone swap in a smaller engine? There are MANY possible engines you could swap with.

didn't know honda made 1.4l engines.
The only 1.4l engine made since 1984 is an EW4 which came in '84-'87 Civics. All engines thereafter have been 1.5l and up.

you can feel when the VTEC kicks in
Like I said before, its very hard to feel when it engages in a stock SOHC.

i heard its not a good thing to turbocharge a vtec. i dont know if its true, but thats what i heard.
Generally, this is not true. There are some vtec engines that like to be boosted, and some that do not. Just depends on the setup. With the d16y8, you can run stock 8-10 psi with correct fuel management and be perfectly fine, giving you around 200 whp, which is a considerable boost from the 127 bhp stock engine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.