Device To Detect Amplifier Clipping?

WarDrumz
10+ year member

Hebrew Israelite
I've read some things here and there, and I've heard of some type of device or gadget that let's you know when your amp is clipping. I can't recall the name of it.

I think audio shops use them when they tune peoples' systems.

What is it called, AND where can I get one?

That should help me quite a bit. For me, it's hard to tell when my amp is clipping, and I don't want a clipped signal going to my subs. Plus it will probably be more accurate than trying to hear it by ear.

Please help, thanx.

volt readers, use a light buld with +/- or just turn your gains down, the amp is going into protection mode... one of your speakers is going bad..
???

Ok, I got the volt reader part, but can you clarify/elaborate on the rest of your post?

What about me having a bad sub?

I think he meant either 1) use a voltmeter to detect clipping or 2) if you're amp goes to protection mode maybe a speaker's bad or you're clipping?

I think he meant either 1) use a voltmeter to detect clipping or 2) if you're amp goes to protection mode maybe a speaker's bad or you're clipping?
Thanx man.

I don't know where he got the bad sub thing from. My sub is fine.

What will the volt meter do if my amp is clipping?

Where can I get one?

Thanx.

WWW.PARTSEXPRESS.COM

IT SHOWS U THE WAVE LENGHT RIGHT ON THE SCREEN.

EXSPECT TO PAY ALEAST $

Thanx man,

Your first post must've been like a millisecond before mine, or I wouldn't have asked those questions again. Thanx a lot.

BTW, Nice avatar. Quite a few people have avatars of women, but your's is the ONLY ONE I've seen that actually has an ASS. Nice taste.

Holla

If you have a laptop PC with a good sound card or if you feel like dragging your desktop PC out to the car, you can download free software that will turn your computer into a fairly nice oscilloscope.

http://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm

Be sure to read their FAQ and join the forum there because you can damage the PC's sound card with high voltages from your audio system if you don't know what you're doing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.