Dual Voice Coil Noobism

Participant count
  • Participant list
Excuse me my negros,

I have a Alpine Type-R 10" DVC subwoofer rated at 300w RMS total. Each coil is 2 Ohm, so 4 Ohms altogether.

But my 320w RMS 4-channel amp (4X 80w RMS) can only make 2 X 160w RMS after it's bridged. The amp specs appear to be standard for 4 Ohm per channel usage. Is there any reason why I can't:

1. Run just one of these voice coils at 160w RMS from one bridge off the amp and leave the other voice coil shorted (Which one would be best to run: the top or bottom coil?)

2. Run all 4 channels of the amp bridged into 2 channels to both coils? That's 2 channels bridged to each of the single 2 Ohm voice coils for 160w RMS each. Is that how I can deliver the full 320w RMS into a 300w RMS DVC subwoofer?

^^^this

Get a cheap mono and for the Type AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH and run your fronts off that 4 channel you have. You can get a mono amp for 60-80 bucks to run that sub.... 300 @ 4 is pretty easy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.