Help Upgrading Starting Battery for $100-150

Participant count
  • Participant list

edgeh2o
10+ year member

99 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4CYL

90amp alternator... BIG 3...stock oem battery group 86...

Alpine M1000 + Image Dynamics i4500... 1300RMS watts total...

I have no headlight dimming issues, but my current battery is 3 years old, has corrosion on 1 of the terminals, and I need new terminals anyways so I'd like to upgrade my starting battery.

I was recommended the Kirkland Marine Starting/Deep Cycle battery, its only $69 for 750mca, 115amp hours, 160 reserve capacity, but its a group 27. My current battery is 8" tall 7" wide and 9-1/8" long and the group 27 is 13" long, so I'm not sure if it will fit, and they don't have the group 24 model.

I see that Deka, Odyssey, Optima, XS Power, Kinnetic, and DieHard Platinum get recommended, but will they fit my vehicle? When I used Deka's Online Batter Finder all that came up for my car was 526MF, 586MF, and 686MF, but there were no stats and I'm not sure if they are dual purpose, since I gather that is what I'm looking for. When I do Optima's battery finder, only the red top comes up, and from what I hear, the yellow tops are better for car audio.

I'm willing to spend up to $100-$150 for a new battery that will last me and satisfy my needs.

I'm hoping someone can recommend me some batteries that will fit the bill.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.