how many amps???

if that was the case, your sub would cut out because all the power from the alternator is being used by evereything electrical, it would drain the energy completely to where there was hardly any left for an amp or sub. the reason why your lights dim, is because your battery is out of juice, the reason why there not in stock cars or indy cars is because they are trying to run superlight loads. i bet you that if you unplug your battery and turn your system up it would cut out, go try it.
Um, 350 watts shouldn't even tax your alternator or tap into your battery at all. If you have sufficient grounds and all your connections are solid your system will be fine. Since your system is not fine @ only 350 watts one of the above is not right.

The reason your lights dim with a high powered system is that you exceed the current capacity of your alternator and begin to draw from your battery which is a lower voltage than the output of your alternator. Lower voltage means dimmer lights. Your battery is not "out of juice," you alternator is.

If I were to go to my car and turn up the system (all that is currently in is the HU and stock speakers) it will run all day without the battery. It's called having a big enough alt. If I were to use the smaller amps that I have, it still wouldn't shut down with the system cranking. Again its called having enough alt. You don't NEED a battery for the car to run. The ALTERNATOR provides all the electricity needed to run the car, and if you plan to have a big system, you had better have enough alternator to supply it with all the current it needs almost all of the time. If you are believing otherwise, you need to learn how a car's electrical system works.

And to second what Helo says, I have personally driven my car without a battery. Granted, it wasn't a large system, but a decent draw none the less. I did this just to prove this argument to my friend. Started the car, pulled the battery out, put it in my trunk, and drove around for a good hour. Absolutely no problems

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.