How much power can a 3 inch VC take?

from "my experience" clamped 2.5k RMS is the limit on a good vented motor with a big 8layer flat wound ccaw. rms meaning the sub can handle this all nite and day.

now i have ran over 5k to a 3" coil plenty of time and it will take it but you have to know when to back off, thus not rms and its being over driven.

just because you have a amp that says 5-7k dosent mean ur ever going to get it with impedence rise with box and music. alot of amps that claim 5-7k clamp on a burp never put out actual power or come close even with a bank of batteries to support it...

Application has nothing to do with how much power a coil can handle thermally.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hilarious.gif.02a037aad04aa96f19982b298a3d70a8.gif

you need to look at coil mass and surface area - those are pretty universal as far as directly related to power handling. The thermal transferring to air or surrounding materials is extremely complex and requires complex FEA to even begin to understand. Most just make stuff up and it semi-works. JBL has done good research on motor venting and hold patents on it.

A 3" Vc with a 3" winding with has more surface are than 4" vc with a 2" winding width - so the length of the coil matters a lot here too as well as the mass of the coil. There is no easy answer.

you need to look at coil mass and surface area - those are pretty universal as far as directly related to power handling. The thermal transferring to air or surrounding materials is extremely complex and requires complex FEA to even begin to understand. Most just make stuff up and it semi-works. JBL has done good research on motor venting and hold patents on it.

A 3" Vc with a 3" winding with has more surface are than 4" vc with a 2" winding width - so the length of the coil matters a lot here too as well as the mass of the coil. There is no easy answer.

VC diameter by itself means only that the VC has that diameter. It doesn't speak to anything that has much to do with power handling.
wrong
There are many different types of coils. An eight layer aluminum flatwind coil can handle up to around 3000, not much more.
And how does the fact that there are many types of coils make what I said wrong? That is essentially what I said. That it is 3" means only that. It doesn't say anything about coil height, venting, winding material, pole material or anything else that actually determines power handling.

YOU DO OMG SO COOL. you like steve meade in a way. coolz
NOTHING LIKE STEVE MEADE... for

1.) I am actually Loud

2.) i dont cover up a scammer on his forum because he payed after 3 months and erase the thread completely.\

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.