Old School

I have changed caps out on several of the amps that I plan on actually using in the future. For instance, the caps in BassLover1's 5002 (thanks for the LP!), I plan on changing out the 10 large caps (from 63V to 100V) . For the early Zapco amps, I changed out the caps in output section, and went from TIP35A to TIP35C, ect, ect... But overall, just have to go through the amps and change what is looking rough, what might go bad, and resolder everything. Then after you do all that, you will end up with a bad gain pot that is unavailable. Fun, Fun...
Haha. Good stuff. I appreciate the info.

Ever experience problems with a mild DC offset when the sensitivity is adjusted but not while it's at rest? In other words, when you turn the pot one way, it makes the driver moves outward a tiny bit and if you turn the pot the other way, the driver moves inward a tiny bit but when you stop turning the pot, the driver returns to it's normal resting position and all other functions of the amplifier are seemingly perfect with no affect on SQ.

What say you?

Haha. Good stuff. I appreciate the info.
Ever experience problems with a mild DC offset when the sensitivity is adjusted but not while it's at rest? In other words, when you turn the pot one way, it makes the driver moves outward a tiny bit and if you turn the pot the other way, the driver moves inward a tiny bit but when you stop turning the pot, the driver returns to it's normal resting position and all other functions of the amplifier are seemingly perfect with no affect on SQ.

What say you?
Trying to figure out what you are asking, but sounds like you have a dirty gain pot. Or could be missing some of the contact on the inside of the gain pot. For instance, on a Punch 45,75,150, if you leave them in the same position for many years, sometimes they freeze. Can't get the pot unstuck unless you pull the pot apart. Then it is rarely right after that. But overall, it sounds like you have a gain pot issue, not an amp issue. I am not in front of it, so it is just a guess. Bad pots can cause all kinds of things to happen. Yours is probably in the early stages of acting up. Will get worse over time. Next thing you know, you will be driving down

the road, pull up to the drive through, order, then SCREEEEEETCHHHH. Then someone will piss in your drink to get you back for screaming at them. Kind of hard to explain to someone at the drive through window that it was an accident.............................It could happen. Change the gain pot...

Trying to figure out what you are asking, but sounds like you have a dirty gain pot. Or could be missing some of the contact on the inside of the gain pot. For instance, on a Punch 45,75,150, if you leave them in the same position for many years, sometimes they freeze. Can't get the pot unstuck unless you pull the pot apart. Then it is rarely right after that. But overall, it sounds like you have a gain pot issue, not an amp issue. I am not in front of it, so it is just a guess. Bad pots can cause all kinds of things to happen. Yours is probably in the early stages of acting up. Will get worse over time. Next thing you know, you will be driving downthe road, pull up to the drive through, order, then SCREEEEEETCHHHH. Then someone will piss in your drink to get you back for screaming at them. Kind of hard to explain to someone at the drive through window that it was an accident.............................It could happen. Change the gain pot...
No piss in my drank please, lol.

Sounds likely. I've also been pointed in the direction of the input caps or the comparator. What about the buffers?

And how many pounds of my flesh do you want for that Cruise Power?

No piss in my drank please, lol.
Sounds likely. I've also been pointed in the direction of the input caps or the comparator. What about the buffers?

And how many pounds of my flesh do you want for that Cruise Power?
I would start off with the gain pot. Easiest to change and check. (if another is available) . Try to pull it, put it on a meter and see if it has a spike or drop-off when you turn it. Quick way to tell. You can probably do it while it is on the board.

For the CP's, they are parked. Will not be going anywhere soon...

I would start off with the gain pot. Easiest to change and check. (if another is available) . Try to pull it, put it on a meter and see if it has a spike or drop-off when you turn it. Quick way to tell. You can probably do it while it is on the board.
For the CP's, they are parked. Will not be going anywhere soon...
Alas, I knew you would say that.

Thank you for humoring my questions kind sir. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah 2 punch 45's mint, 1 punch 75 pre hd, 2 punch 150HDs, 2 punch 250.1 powers (favorite), 2 punch 400.4s, 1 power 400@4 and 1 punch 250.2 power. Also have 2 PPI X3 crossovers, 1 AF 4, 1 punch X and a Alpine 3311 equalizer/crossover. I only like Rockford Fosgate.

Oh and a Lanzar Opti 1000.1 and 100.4 (ZED) awesome amplifiers. When I get the time and nerve I am putting the punch 250.1 power on my woofers and punch 400.4 on my mids and highs. Nothing like the old school made in USA amps.

I am sure you already know about my collection, but what do you have for old school ciaonzo ? Anything rare or interesting that we need to see?

how bout these bad boy's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hifonics22.jpg

I am sure you already know about my collection, but what do you have for old school ciaonzo ? Anything rare or interesting that we need to see?
Sadly I don't have much of an old school collection these days. I used to be a Soundstream junkie way back. Had my share of the Reference line, a 300, two 500, two 604, and a 705. I've got an old print photo of a few of those some place. Those lasted me quite a while and then I got into Zapco with a 360.4, two 500.1, and 750.2. I have some of the older GM-X Pioneers, a 524, two 722, and a 922. I've got a couple MB Quart RAA2400. And for some reason I have a strong attraction to older Sony stuff. There's a couple of photos in this thread:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408239&highlight=sony+xplod+wtf&page=3

I need to get some ESX pieces, I've heard those are nice.

I have changed caps out on several of the amps that I plan on actually using in the future. For instance, the caps in BassLover1's 5002 (thanks for the LP!), I plan on changing out the 10 large caps (from 63V to 100V) . For the early Zapco amps, I changed out the caps in output section, and went from TIP35A to TIP35C, ect, ect... But overall, just have to go through the amps and change what is looking rough, what might go bad, and resolder everything. Then after you do all that, you will end up with a bad gain pot that is unavailable. Fun, Fun...
That is when you pull the gain and solder resistors in its place. The only downside is if you go from a HU with 2v on the preamp outputs to a HU that has 5v.

That is when you pull the gain and solder resistors in its place. The only downside is if you go from a HU with 2v on the preamp outputs to a HU that has 5v.
Then you could just up the values. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.