Profile amp for comps: yay/nay?

SomeGuyDude
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I used to use a Profile amp on a pair of CVRs and it definitely seemed to do the job, and I was eBaying around and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Profile-AP-600-California-Series-Car-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ120460148630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item1c0bfbff96&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

$70 shipped, 100x2@4. Worth it? Not? I'm thinking of pairing it up with some Alpine Type-X Ref 6.5 comps and that's exactly the power I'm looking for, but I figured I'd ask here first.

i wouldnt buy one used. also you get what you pay for. for a little bit more you can buy a nicer used 4 ch. here on the forum...

run an ap1040 on the GF's Pro60's for the past 2+ years. No complaints for a $90 amp.

I use an ap1000 in my car for the rear fill coax set up. Been going strong for 3+ years.

Bummer they went under...

I had about 5 different Profile amps back in the 90's and I used to sell them to customers on a budget...never a single problem. Great for the money IMO.

I wouldn't buy it from someone who doesn't have a picture of the actual item, but I don't see anything wrong with that model of amp.
Often when people sell stuff online they just use the stock photo that eBay supplies when you're told to search for your item to collect basic info on it. I did it for a few video games I sold.

But I should ask for photos before buying, good call.

Well I'm no competitor. I just want to know if these will throw a clean signal at some Alpine Type-X Ref comps.

I'm trying to save money, but quality parts is the important thing. At the same time, I need to know why amp A is better than amp B and why I should spend more money on it, y'know? I mean I'm lukewarm on used in general, but when a deal is good enough I gotta check it out, right?

So if the Profile isn't gonna be shooting the best signal at those comps, I'll move on. Maybe Cadence? Audiopipe? Considering all I need is 100x2@4 I -really- don't want to be spending $200+ on it.

i wouldnt buy one used. also you get what you pay for. for a little bit more you can buy a nicer used 4 ch. here on the forum...

This is one of the dumbest sayings there is imho. So I guess since JL is so expensive nothing that costs less could possibly be as good right?

This is one of the dumbest sayings there is imho. So I guess since JL is so expensive nothing that costs less could possibly be as good right?
Yeah that's what I mean. If you can't explain WHY the more expensive unit is better, I'm not gonna spend the extra money. I don't want to build my system with cheap parts, but I don't want to waste money either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.