question about Fuse/power wire

Wasted Ink is correct. First you protect the equipment, then you protect the wire. Its always safer to use a smaller fuse when you can.

The current ratings listed for power wire are most likely the MAX load capacity that the wire can handle. But you want to use a fuse that matches your MAX load potential of the equipment and not the wire (unless equipment fuse > wire capacity then you need bigger wire).

For example I have 2 amps, 1 with 3x40A (120A total) fuses and 1 with 2x30A (60A total) fuses. So at the distro block I have a 120A and 60A fuses for my 4ga wire which is a short run to the amps. Then at the 1/0 fuse at the batt I need to have at least 1 180A fuse. Closest I could get is 200A so that is what I use. 200A is lower than the wire MAX capacity so the wire is protected as well as the equipment.

This is not just for car audio, its for electricity/electronics in general.

Fusing the wire for the amps is really only necessary if the amps themselves don't have fuses. Not saying it's a bad idea, because it isn't, I'm just saying it's not a necessity.

NEVER fuse a wire higher than it's rating and ALWAYS fuse a wire.

Fusing the wire for the amps is really only necessary if the amps themselves don't have fuses. Not saying it's a bad idea, because it's isn't, I'm just saying it's not a necessity.
How do you figure? The in-line fuse is preventing the wire from heating up and igniting your car, not preventing your amp to blow.

NO MATTER WHAT, ALWAYS fuse power wire.

How do you figure? The in-line fuse is preventing the wire from heating up and igniting your car, not preventing your amp to blow.
i can second this!!!

also what size fuse you think rockford 4awg can handle im thinking 130 tops??

wait, I know I'm thread jacking but...
my friend got a Kicker amp install kit and it comes with a 300 amp fuse....

we are using 1/0 awg but only for about 1000-1100 rms watts (hifonics 1606D @ 2 ohms)

fuse useless??
no your fine 1/0 wire is rated for 300a. but i would probly run like a 150-200a with that amp

I'm not saying fuse higher than the wire can handle. You are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I wasn't replying to the OP.

What I said was, you can fuse for the amps, meaning use a smaller fuse on the wire than it's rating (ex: 150 instead of 200 or 250 or 300). That still protects the wire as well as the fuses at the amp.

How does that risk a fire?

Fusing the wire for the amps is really only necessary if the amps themselves don't have fuses. Not saying it's a bad idea, because it isn't, I'm just saying it's not a necessity.
NEVER fuse a wire higher than it's rating.
I'm not saying fuse higher than the wire can handle. You are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I wasn't replying to the OP.
What I said was, you can fuse for the amps, meaning use a smaller fuse on the wire than it's rating (ex: 150 instead of 200 or 250 or 300). That still protects the wire as well as the fuses at the amp.

How does that risk a fire?
If you go back and read your post that he replied to, you could read it as you saying you do not need an inline fuse because amps already have internal fuses. I understood your point, but he obviously read it differently.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.