rem wire problem

89prelude2.0Si
10+ year member

TN
Hey all i installed my system the other day and i ran the remote wire from my amp to the specified wire on the radio the "remote amplifier turnon" wire and it worked i was listening to the radio and i turned the volume up just a little bit and the subwoofer amp shut off i turned it back down just a little it came back on...i ask some friends what this was they said try removing your rem wire from the radio and just jump it over to the 12volt power connector on the amp, the spot i put the wire to the battery , i did and then it worked just fine i could turn as loud as i want the only thing is is that my amp stays on like that and it'll kill my battery.....what to do?

The best thing to do is to use a relay from your deck to the amp. Sometimes your amp switch pulls more current than your radio is able to supply. This is usually the case when hooking up multiple amps.

Yes, the remote from your head unit is a 12 volt output and it only has a limited amount of current... A relay from your head unit lead would draw a small amout of current, but would supply enough current to simultaneously turn on all the components you want.

Since current = volts..
Only on a 1 Ohm load. Current and volts measure two different things. Current is the "flow" of electrons between to potentials and is measured in amps (A). Voltage is the difference in charge between two points and is measured in volts (V).

To address the original poster's question, as jlsnydertyper alluded to, as you increased the volume on your headunit, the additional power needed by the internal amp on the headunit caused a voltage drop in the head unit and leaving the 12V remote turn on short on voltage. Since the amp wasn't getting the voltage it needed to turn on, it turned itself off. The fix is to wire a 12V relay from a constant 12V source (the amp power wire is a usual source) to the remote terminal of the amp and use the remote lead from your head unit as the trigger lead for the relay.

lol i think ill go with the relay thing because i've spent laot of money on this so far and i want it all done right, just incase your wandering its 3 JL audio 12W7's with a JL audio 450/4 amp

and this equals up to the total price of....lol lets just say i owe the bank bunches //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.