So much much power should I actually give a hdc318?

2000 clean watts is safe on the copper coil, assuming you're not playing full tilt 10Hz below box tuning for hours on end.

HDC's have a very still spider package, so the easy break in period gives them a chance to loosen up some. I play mine overnight on low volume with a batt charger hooked up. Then beat on them from there and add in more low stuff. They will get louder over time as the suspension loosens up.

For a daily set up 6cubes net and tune 35-38Hz depending upon what kind of music you mostly play. SSF will also help if you plan to play way below box tuning a lot.

I hear horror stories now and then but I have NEVER personally experienced any of the issues mentioned. I've been running AQ's for 4 years now, daily pounding, demo's and burps. I run alum coils with a 3500 per sub, but have never clamped it for actual power. I've also run 2 3500's at .25ohm per sub for burps.

I get me stinky now and then, but back off for a bit and they're fine. If you're that unsure start out on the safe side and as you become more familiar with your set up slowly put more power to the sub. For a burp it should take all the power your amp can put out if the enclosure is right.

Didnt we just have a discussion on break in periods last week and agree that they are not necessary? Ive yet to hear an explanation as to why stiffer spiders require a break in period to avoid damage.

If you wanted to throw X amount of power at a sub you should invest in subs that a manufacturer recommends throwing X amount of power at and not something that was rated at 1000 and has been proven to fry at more... Pretty simple stuff IMO but then again I'm just a newb //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif

Didnt we just have a discussion on break in periods last week and agree that they are not necessary? Ive yet to hear an explanation as to why stiffer spiders require a break in period to avoid damage.
The impregation process causes them to solify acting like a peace of resin instead of just strengthing the cloth..

throw 3000+ at it! my hdc3/TC9 handles my 3500d all day long! Never drops 14v's...If you can really stand to play it full tilt hour after hour driving...your ears might blow the same time it does....

a ton of drivers DO require a break in period. Granted a lot are home theater drivers but need it just the same. DD's and AQ's need to be broken in because the spiders are laminated and designed stupidly, it isn't do to being stiff. It's because if you don't break them in they won't soften up evenly and end up with hard and soft spots that will cause them to rip and tear. A true break in period is going to take longer than 2 weeks unless you play them non stop, 120 hours is what is recommended for the most part

The impregation process causes them to solify acting like a peace of resin instead of just strengthing the cloth..
So why will a long period of low vibration make a difference versus a short period of 'normal' vibration?

a ton of drivers DO require a break in period. Granted a lot are home theater drivers but need it just the same. DD's and AQ's need to be broken in because the spiders are laminated and designed stupidly, it isn't do to being stiff. It's because if you don't break them in they won't soften up evenly and end up with hard and soft spots that will cause them to rip and tear. A true break in period is going to take longer than 2 weeks unless you play them non stop, 120 hours is what is recommended for the most part
Any testing or other data to confirm this? This goes along with my query to papermaker.

So why will a long period of low vibration make a difference versus a short period of 'normal' vibration?

Any testing or other data to confirm this? This goes along with my query to papermaker.
to the dd/aq spiders or the fact certain drivers need to be broken in to perform at 100%? I think mark audio has a pretty detailed paper out on why it's required for their fullrange drivers. It has a lot to do with making sure the spiders break in the same all the way around and stay the same stiffness from inside to outside.

DJ explained to me that the layered spiders "could" separate if given too much power too soon as only 1/2 of them would take the brunt of the power. This was the noise some subs had as the spider layers were tapping against each other. Over time they would take a proper set, but it's best to just give them a chance from the start.

I've never witnessed it personally, but I've always been religious about doing a break in on fresh recones.

Rated RMS by the manufacturer is the same as the RMS they give to amps. they get to pick and chose what they throw at it. look at SA 12s, 600rms and are doing 1k daily without any problems with designs. Why do all their amps do more than rated at the 14.4 or 12.9 Voltage? its a marketing technique.of course you shouldnt be running 3k. adding in the aluminum coils will give it that extra shove to RMS daily runnings.

The reason i stated my Numbers and what others were running was to show what i was against, and their setups as a unit of comparison i might add.
You are merely saying that you should over drive every decent product on the market because it is sold that way? All though many follow your thought process, I am telling you that you are indeed wrong. Yes there are marketing tricks but most of this is for warranty standards and not to increase sales.

DJ explained to me that the layered spiders "could" separate if given too much power too soon as only 1/2 of them would take the brunt of the power. This was the noise some subs had as the spider layers were tapping against each other. Over time they would take a proper set, but it's best to just give them a chance from the start.
I've never witnessed it personally, but I've always been religious about doing a break in on fresh recones.
The issue that was with the spiders in several layers were that many of the inner layers would not receive much if any glue do to the assembly method. Being easier on it was their way of combating the issue of less then required glue on the joints. With that said, they have changed their build method and they have also changed the number of spiders on the drivers(all though that was for other reasons). The noise you would hear is the inner layers of the spiders moving around do to lack of glue.

Indeed we did. After I reworked my findings I found other similarities that made me recant my original findings and send out an email to a few manufactures regarding those very issues.

Other then having the driver perform "better" (which happens regardless over time) I could not find a reason to actually "break in" a sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.