Speaker break in or did i mess up

Notanaudioguy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Nyc
I have a 95 jeep with the infinity gold system. When I got it, all 4 speakers had bad foam. I was able to get 2 used front speakers ( infinity gold also) in good condition from a friend and they sound perfect. I decided to try reforming the rears. Followed a YouTube video where they used a 9v battery to keep the cone centered. I left the 9v attached the entire time. Put the speakers back in and they work without any crackle but they are noticeably lower volume than the fronts. Does the speaker have to break in or did I burn the coil by leaving the 9v battery attached for about 3 min, or could it be the amp

I have a 95 jeep with the infinity gold system. When I got it, all 4 speakers had bad foam. I was able to get 2 used front speakers ( infinity gold also) in good condition from a friend and they sound perfect. I decided to try reforming the rears. Followed a YouTube video where they used a 9v battery to keep the cone centered. I left the 9v attached the entire time. Put the speakers back in and they work without any crackle but they are noticeably lower volume than the fronts. Does the speaker have to break in or did I burn the coil by leaving the 9v battery attached for about 3 min, or could it be the amp

Speakers are made to be used with alternating current, not direct current.

You killed your speakers by using the battery. A 9V battery has six small batteries inside, connected in series. The current from a battery that's connected to a 4 Ohm speaker is more than enough to damage the voice coil and BTW- you should have seen the cone move when you connected the battery, That's NOT centered, it's in the maximum outward or inward position and the movement is called 'excursion'. Whoever posted that video owes you some speakers and if I were you, I would leave some very harsh comments on that video because they were dead wrong when they said anything about centering the cone using a battery. The only time a cone can be considered 'centered' is with ZERO Volts.

It's a car stereo with stock speakers- stop reading the audio forum BS about forming speakers, speaker break-in, etc- capacitors are formed, not speakers. Speaker break-in may result in small changes in the Thiel-Small parameters, but you won't hear them in OEM car speakers without the engine running and once it is running and you're driving, the engine and road noise will mask ALL changes, large or small.

I put a 9V battery in my pocket when I was at work and headed to the shop for a meeting. I didn't make sure the plastic cover for the terminals wasn't snapped on and found out the hard way when the coins in my pocket shorted across the terminals. As I jumped around while trying to remove it as fast as possible because it was burning my leg, one of the others said "Jimmy- I've never seen you move so fast!".

Thank you. I should have known about youtube. I used to be a mechanic by trade and some of the stuff I see people do is dead wrong. I figured it would be a cheap experiment. New speakers it is.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...