Sub only hits hard sometimes

MastaFlyMason
10+ year member

I have an MTX Thunder 302 amp powering a 12" Alpine Type E. Everything sounds fine, but every once in a while it starts hitting really hard and going back to normal. What could this problem be? The wiring and everything looks good. I read somewhere that some amps have "clip protection" build in, could this be the problem? If so, how do I fix it.

Thanks,

MastaFlyMason

dude he dont know what funky pups are. its the mans first post here

hey op ( "op" stands for origonal poster of the topic )

check your rca wires going to the amp. they might not be fully plugged in.

also check your bass boost knob. it might be malfunctioning. check the cord on it.

also check the terminal tension on the wires to see if there is the propper torque value applied to the set in screw placing your wires firm to the amp

alot of loss can be had thru impropper torque value set to the terminal clamp for wire outputs / inputs

dude he dont know what funky pups are. its the mans first post here
hey op ( "op" stands for origonal poster of the topic )

check your rca wires going to the amp. they might not be fully plugged in.

also check your bass boost knob. it might be malfunctioning. check the cord on it.

also check the terminal tension on the wires to see if there is the propper torque value applied to the set in screw placing your wires firm to the amp

alot of loss can be had thru impropper torque value set to the terminal clamp for wire outputs / inputs
RCA wires are fully plugged in, but they came with a $12 wiring kit, so not sure how reliable they are. I have no bass knob on my amp. All wire inputs/outputs look good.

RCA wires are fully plugged in, but they came with a $12 wiring kit, so not sure how reliable they are. I have no bass knob on my amp. All wire inputs/outputs look good.
Yeh I wouldn't expect much from a $12 wiring kit, but sometimes they get the job done depending on the application. Do you have any friends with systems or any other access to another set of RCAs? It'd be nice if you could try another set. I'd also pull the sub from the box and make sure all connections are secure in there.

My thunder 302 started this , and within 2 weeks it killed my right set of speakers. DC'd them. Smoke was everywhere , after that the amp wouldn't do anything but blow fuses.
Should I return the amp? I just got it on eBay like a week ago, I'm really hoping it isn't broken :/

Connections are secure inside the box

I would. Its over 10 years old. They were good amps no doubt but my 152 and 302 both gave me problems. Find a blue thunder pro 150x2 it's the same output but a little better and more reliable.

Boccia-di-Terra-Luna-----Gi7QKviX4XPCAuPRIQcV5qnaaVkmPVft6VivtpDIJS8.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.