Subs/Amp cutting out with high volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

Palmer92

I'm running a precision power d3000/1 to 2 12 inch kicker subs from a stock head unit with a high low converter and an 8 farad capacitor and already have the big 3 upgrade using 2 awg wiring. The subs and amp are connected through 4 awg wiring 12 awg stereo wires and a splitter running 8 awg to the capacitor. With or without the capacitor I still experience this problem. I have the highest grade battery my car will take but still running the stock alternator. I've limited the problem down to either the stock head unit and the high low converter or the stock alternator which seems less likely as nothing dims in the vehicle. The amp is set to the lowest bass and lowest gain but still have the problem with higher volume

I'm running a precision power d3000/1 to 2 12 inch kicker subs from a stock head unit with a high low converter and an 8 farad capacitor and already have the big 3 upgrade using 2 awg wiring. The subs and amp are connected through 4 awg wiring 12 awg stereo wires and a splitter running 8 awg to the capacitor. With or without the capacitor I still experience this problem. I have the highest grade battery my car will take but still running the stock alternator. I've limited the problem down to either the stock head unit and the high low converter or the stock alternator which seems less likely as nothing dims in the vehicle. The amp is set to the lowest bass and lowest gain but still have the problem with higher volume
yeah could be hu but if that amp does anywhere near that power u need 0ga wire.. also my ppi amp cuts out 1 second if it clips.. turn gain down a tad and bass boost off everywhere no eq presets etc see if that helps.. or when it cuts out turn volume on hu down see if it comes back on., if so u need turn turn something down..

Your stock head unit is probably clipping at high volume causing problems.
That is what I'm leaning towards as well I've never run any system off a stock HU with a HLC before and everything else is up to code and spec reqs. The lack of any voltage drop is just throwing me off

yeah could be hu but if that amp does anywhere near that power u need 0ga wire.. also my ppi amp cuts out 1 second if it clips.. turn gain down a tad and bass boost off everywhere no eq presets etc see if that helps.. or when it cuts out turn volume on hu down see if it comes back on., if so u need turn turn something down..
It's only a one second delay as if it was going into protect mode which it isn't lighting up for but I have gain and all bass modifiers completely off and still getting the cuts. The amp can only take 4g in it's terminals as that is what is required for highest level input/output and bigger wont impact it from my experience with 3ks

It's only a one second delay as if it was going into protect mode which it isn't lighting up for but I have gain and all bass modifiers completely off and still getting the cuts. The amp can only take 4g in it's terminals as that is what is required for highest level input/output and bigger wont impact it from my experience with 3ks
thats y they make reducers so u can run bigger wire and stick it in a smaller hole on amp.. sounds like yours is doing same as mine, when it cuts out 1 sec turn in down couple clicks on hu if it doesn't do it anymore at that volume u need to adjust gain down 1 notch.. 4ga is good for 1200rms and down, thats y i'm only running mine at 2 ohm don't wanta put $ out for wire.. u did big 3 wires so play stereo loud test volts at amp see what it drops to at amp bigger wire would help but still think problem is gain setting (new hu would probably help but mine still does it if i turn it to high)

thats y they make reducers so u can run bigger wire and stick it in a smaller hole on amp.. sounds like yours is doing same as mine, when it cuts out 1 sec turn in down couple clicks on hu if it doesn't do it anymore at that volume u need to adjust gain down 1 notch.. 4ga is good for 1200rms and down, thats y i'm only running mine at 2 ohm don't wanta put $ out for wire.. u did big 3 wires so play stereo loud test volts at amp see what it drops to at amp bigger wire would help but still think problem is gain setting (new hu would probably help but mine still does it if i turn it to high)
Can't put my gain any lower and bass is all the way down that's why I'm finding it hard to think it's a wire problem. Not getting a volt drop on test at all either. I'm considering running precision high output wires

Can't put my gain any lower and bass is all the way down that's why I'm finding it hard to think it's a wire problem. Not getting a volt drop on test at all either. I'm considering running precision high output wires
if volts (at amp) are above 13.5 with system on should be good but i guess could be distortion from hu/loc..

Can't put my gain any lower and bass is all the way down that's why I'm finding it hard to think it's a wire problem. Not getting a volt drop on test at all either. I'm considering running precision high output wires[/QUOTE]
What is this? lol

There is an input on the side of my amplifier with those exact words "precision high imput/output". Never seen it before but figured it could be the problem considering I've never ran an pp amp before lol

There is an input on the side of my amplifier with those exact words "precision high imput/output". Never seen it before but figured it could be the problem considering I've never ran an pp amp before lol
oops

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.