the right amp and subs

mil-spec

ohio
I am kinda new to most of the new electronics. I havent messed with any of this for almost 20 years. I'm trying to get a decent setup for my boys truck. It's a 98 expedition and so far i have a 2 channel 500 wt rms amp at 2 ohms. Was planning on running two of the jl w3 and then i have a rockford punch p4004 to run the 3x5 alpine door speakers. I haven't had this installed yet,,,i just wanted to get some thought from those of you that do this kind of stuff all the time. He doesn't need to have the best in the county but i do want it to sound decent. Oh and i did get a new dash unit. Its a pioneer with 7" screen all touch screen,bluetooth, all that jazz. He knows more about it than i do. With this am i missing anything or are there recommendations? I would appreciate any help with this. I know the guy at the audio place just tends to pont me in the direction of the more expensive electronics. I don't want to spend the exta $ for w7's. I just want it to be clean. Thanks

^^^This

Also what kind of amp is it? It would be helpful to have the specs on it. You might be better off running one sub, like a 15" on that amp bridged at 4 ohm. You'd be surprised how much output you can get with one 15" and a custom ported box. Being an Expedition it doesn't sound like space is going to be an issue.

JL is good stuff but in the car audio world today, there is much more available that will perform just as well for a fraction of the cost. Look at Sundown Audio, DC Sound Labs, C2 Audio, Tantric Sounds, et al. I would hop onto the classifieds section of this site, lots of good gear and from what I can tell, most of the sellers here are genuine and honest people. I've bought a few things here and they were exactly as advertised.

Also, regardless of the amps and subs/speakers you use, make sure to get the foundation laid well or nothing you do will be up to par. What I mean by that is, get the electrical system in shape before you start worrying about the other end. Id you're gonna be running close to a thousand watts to begin with (and we all know he'll want more soon), go ahead and invest in a run of 1/0 to the back and do a big three in 1/0. That way, you'll have enough power to keep signals clean and protect the amps and subs you do end up using. 1/0 CCA will carry about 300 amps and can be had on a modest budget. Check with @mylows10 for prices on Sky High Audio amp and big three kits.

As for the other end, I'm a big fan of one woofer setups and when in the right box, one woofer can be stupid loud. Especially in a huge cabin like you have to work with. One good ten in a t-line on 500 watts in that truck will sound like a lot of 15s do in cars.

And lastly, as was mentioned, share some details about the equipment you already have. There's a little more to advising about it than just knowing power ratings.

the only thing purchased so far is the pioneer deck and a alphasonik 1000rms a/b 2 chanel amp. 2 ohm stable. I will take your advice on the cable. I dont plan on spending more than 1500.00 I actually thought about running those 15" incriminators. I looked at the sundowns but after reading a bunch of reviews i'm leaning twards the flatlyne or death row series. I was looking at the recommended specs for a ported box and I'm having a friend of mine that is a cad engineer design a box for the speakers and amps. I was thinking about getting another 1000rms amp and just running a single amp to a single speaker. So 2 15"s at 1000rms each 2ohms. And then the punch 4004 for the door speakers. I'n not up on this stuff like you guys so thats why i'm here. Just looking for suggestions. For me it's all about making junior happy.

the only thing purchased so far is the pioneer deck and a alphasonik 1000rms a/b 2 chanel amp. 2 ohm stable. I will take your advice on the cable. I dont plan on spending more than 1500.00 I actually thought about running those 15" incriminators. I looked at the sundowns but after reading a bunch of reviews i'm leaning twards the flatlyne or death row series. I was looking at the recommended specs for a ported box and I'm having a friend of mine that is a cad engineer design a box for the speakers and amps. I was thinking about getting another 1000rms amp and just running a single amp to a single speaker. So 2 15"s at 1000rms each 2ohms. And then the punch 4004 for the door speakers. I'n not up on this stuff like you guys so thats why i'm here. Just looking for suggestions. For me it's all about making junior happy.
i could do some damage with that budget. id dohttp://cdn1.caraudio.com/images/editor/smilie.png a single 18" and like a 1500watt rms amp. Thats pretty much what i run and it does very well. you could get the same sub i have for like $350 & get a pure audio 1500rms amp for $150, get a decent custom enclosure built or build it your self(cheaper doing it yourself) that would probly be about $70 i would say. Thats $570, that leaves plenty left over for anything else need on electrical. But for only 1500watts you wouldnt have to upgrade the alt or nothing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif just do the big 3 and add a good batt in back

Heres a cheap Setup: Look some of the stuff listed up if you want....

Soundqubed Hdc3 18 Dual 2(D2) Copper Coil option - $350 shipped from Soundqubed.com

Pure Audio PA1500.1 - $150 shipped from Xplicit audio.com

Cadence 0gauge wire kit - $55 shipped from ebay

Custom Enclosure( I suggest build it yourself if you can, it will be cheaper) - $70 (

Do the Big 3 upgrade - I did mine for like $30

Good AGM Battery for the back- Find one on here for cheap. My teammate has some C&D batts for sale on here for like $100 shipped i think.

That totals $755 and thats a complete system. Unless you need 6x9's & stuff but i figured you already had some from what you said above, but you would still have money for it.

Heres a cheap Setup: Look some of the stuff listed up if you want....
Soundqubed Hdc3 18 Dual 2(D2) Copper Coil option - $350 shipped from Soundqubed.com

Pure Audio PA1500.1 - $150 shipped from Xplicit audio.com

Cadence 0gauge wire kit - $55 shipped from ebay

Custom Enclosure( I suggest build it yourself if you can, it will be cheaper) - $70 (

Do the Big 3 upgrade - I did mine for like $30

Good AGM Battery for the back- Find one on here for cheap. My teammate has some C&D batts for sale on here for like $100 shipped i think.

That totals $755 and thats a complete system. Unless you need 6x9's & stuff but i figured you already had some from what you said above, but you would still have money for it.
Your son and wallet will love you for this setup OP lol. Emphasis on the custom box, if your not building it yourself, it should be 200$ or less at a local shop, have one of the pro builders on this site hook you up with a box design since they've been working with these brands of subs more than your local shop which probably only knows JL, kenwood pioneer.

thanks for all the help guys! I don't want to spend the money if i dont need to. Lots of info there i will check out when i get home from work.

thanks for all the help guys! I don't want to spend the money if i dont need to. Lots of info there i will check out when i get home from work.
No problem. i run a very similar setup now in my blazer and im very happy with it. im sure your son would be very happy with this as well as your wallet lol...

well ive done a little more homework and talked with a guy from incriminator. Were gonna go with 2 15" death row and drive em with two 1300 rms amps at 2 ohms. I got build instructions for a ported box from incriminator, and i also found a local guy that does custom installs and builds custom enclosures as well. The boy is going to kick in a little of his money as well so that will be nice. It should definately thump his skull!! When we get it all done i'll post some pictures. I'm thinking about glassing his box and paint matching it to his truck. Well have to see. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. It is much appreciated!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.