FEATURED Truck Build

Bobbytwonames
5,000+ posts

Trigger Man!
Vegas
I changed up my truck build. I switched from 4 - 8's to two 12's in the same box (new baffle). The box is 3.7 cubes net after port and subs tuned to 34 hz. The new subs are Sundown SA Classic 12's on a Sundown SIA5000 wired to 4 ohms (2,750 watts).

Build Photo
  1. Okay

Attachments

• 20240717_214708.jpg
    20240717_214708.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240717_204723.jpg
    20240717_204723.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240717_152243.jpg
    20240717_152243.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I changed up my truck build. I switched from 4 - 8's to two 12's in the same box (new baffle). The box is 3.8 cubes net after port and subs tuned to 34 hz. The new subs are Sundown SA Classic 12's on a Sundown SIA5000 wired to 4 ohms (2,750 watts).
It won't let me add pictures.
20240717_182631.jpg
20240717_152243.jpg
20240717_214708.jpg

Last edited:
What is the difference in sound between the two set-ups?

I haven't metered the 12's yet. I'm still tuning the sub amp. I think the 12's are louder. I know it's only 12.5% more cone area but it seems like it's louder to me. They still get plenty low. I always check the lows with the 28 hz. rebassed version of Enter Sandman. The 28 hz. drop gives me an idea of what there doing comparable to the 8's. One thing I've noticed is that my voltage barely moves anymore. Is that because I'm wired to four ohms now? I might add a third SA 12 and wire them to 1.33 ohms. Is 1.23 cubes net enough for the SA 12's? I'm crossed over @ 70 hz. on my headunit right now. I haven't heard these 12's bottom out once on the Enter Sandman song. The 8's would bottom out on that song on a soft clip. I can't really get the 12's to a clipping point. They won't clip with the bass knob all the way up. What does that mean? Should I turn the gain up? I'm sorry this is so long. I know we are on a daily pitch count in here.

One thing I've noticed is that my voltage barely moves anymore. Is that because I'm wired to four ohms now?
That means those particular subs are way more efficient than the 4 8s. Great info! It may also be because those subs are designed for small enclosures and you put them in almost double their specified volume.
Screenshot_20240719-001820.png

The 8's would bottom out on that song on a soft clip. I can't really get the 12's to a clipping point.
This is surprising being that they are in an oversized enclosure. Then again, they are Sundown and niched towards SPL.
I might add a third SA 12 and wire them to 1.33 ohms. Is 1.23 cubes net enough for the SA 12's?
Only if you went sealed. I modified a box for my nephew for 2 SA-10s. It was 1 cubic foot sealed for both subs. Still have not heard them bumping after almost a year but he said they sound awesome.

That means those particular subs are way more efficient than the 4 8s. Great info! It may also be because those subs are designed for small enclosures and you put them in almost double their specified volume.View attachment 59176

This is surprising being that they are in an oversized enclosure. Then again, they are Sundown and niched towards SPL.

Only if you went sealed. I modified a box for my nephew for 2 SA-10s. It was 1 cubic foot sealed for both subs. Still have not heard them bumping after almost a year but he said they sound awesome.

Sundown calls for 1.75 cubes for each 12" sub. That adds up to 3.5 cubes. My box is approximately 3.7 cubes. They also call for 26 square inches of port per sub which equals 52". My box has 43¾" square inches of port. They suggest a tuning of 35 hz. and I'm pretty sure that my box is tuned to 34 hz. I'm happy with them so far. I guess 12.5% more cone area makes a difference. The power has actually dropped from 3,500 watts @ 1 ohm to 2,750 watts @ 4 ohms. I wish I could meter it. My 8's were pretty sick.
Screenshot_20240418_162148_Facebook.jpg

Sundown calls for 1.75 cubes for each 12" sub. That adds up to 3.5 cubes. My box is approximately 3.7 cubes.
I read the specs wrong. I was focused on the sealed side. Then according to the current specs, you are right on the money. I do know Sundown did a new run of the Classic, which would explain the new specs. Being that your port is smaller than specs, it controls excursion more than the larger area specs. Maybe a 3rd one will ruin the magic.

Last edited:
I think they even suggest that for the newer models but I’ve seen people mainly go 2 cf 32-35 hz.

I rebaffled my 4 - 8" box for the two Sundown 12's. They are the black bottoms. I'm about 1.85 cubes each.
20240717_204723.jpg

I read the specs wrong. I was focused on the sealed side. Then according to the current specs, you are right on the money. I do know Sundown did a new run of the Classic, which would explain the new specs. Being that your port is smaller than specs, it controls excursion more than the larger area specs. Maybe a 3rd one will ruin the magic.
I'll stick with two. I picked them up for $250. I also picked up a D4S minimaxx 1004 for $100. My Crescendo S4 decided to take a nap.

That hurts. Those things are a thing of beauty. Are you going to warranty or revive it? Because, you know... It would make a good As Is gift. And my birthday is coming up....

Iy powers on and everything. It has a beautiful blue light shining out from under my passenger seat at night. Crescendo thinks maybe something got ****** up into the fan. I was shedding a kit of skin when I got sick with DRESS Syndrome. I'll post a video. It was fricking wild. This is a picture of the skin that I had to sweep up twice a day after I showered. You can only imagine how much skin was in my truck. I think that's what caused my Crescendo to crash. I was red like that from the neck down for three months.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1712605484126.jpg
    FB_IMG_1712605484126.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 8
  • FB_IMG_1712604583560.jpg
    FB_IMG_1712604583560.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
was shedding a kit of skin when I got sick with DRESS Syndrome
I just did a quick read of DRESS, it sounds harsh. The "positive" side is that it is temporary on most patients. Since you said you had it for 3 months then I assume you have recovered or are almost there. I am glad you are doing better. Now you must watch like a hawk the meds prescribed lest something similar slips by the doc's attention.

I just did a quick read of DRESS, it sounds harsh. The "positive" side is that it is temporary on most patients. Since you said you had it for 3 months then I assume you have recovered or are almost there. I am glad you are doing better. Now you must watch like a hawk the meds prescribed lest something similar slips by the doc's attention.

There isn't a cure as of now. Prednisone is one of the more popular treatments. I've been tapering off of it since January. It changed the way I look. I lost 40 pounds in 30 days. I left the hospital at 139 pounds. Please don't feel sorry for me. I'm grateful to be alive. DRESS has a 5% - 10% mortality rate. This is a link to a profile the DRESS Syndrome Foundation did on me. Robert Dillon. I think I'm losing my headunit. https://www.dresssyndromefoundation.org/meet-our-patient-and-family-panel

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...