trunk rattling very annoying and souds like sh*t

get some sound deadening. pm ifandsorbuts on here and get some second skin.

forum members get a killer discount.

also, if you have a day off, get some weatherstripping and take your trunk apart and put some between all of the panels :thumbsup

Get some dynamat, that's the best solution for stopping metal vibrations. Or you can try some Noise Killer (RF product) which is supposed to be really good for trunks/hatches. First though I would try to pinpoint where the rattling is coming from, you may or may not need dynamat or similar products if you can stop it with other things. For instance, trunk latches are notorious for rattling, so put a piece of electrical tape around the "u" part of it to stop the metal to metal vibrations. If you have plastic panels in the trunk you can either remove them (best option), or do anything you can to keep them from vibrating against the metal, which means you could fix the problem by just cramming tape, foam, rubber, etc. between the plastic and the metal. Little fixes here and there can significantly stop the rattling. For instance, I heard that if you stuff polyfill between the plastic panels and the metal (while re-installing) it will keep it from rattling. If your license plate rattle then put a piece of foam behind it and then screw it down tight against it. You can use a piece of rubber foam to keep the rear-view mirror rattling down to a minimum. If the metal itself is vibrating loudly though then dynamat or some other sound deadener is the only option. There are a lot of things you can do, just try different things.

Get some dynamat, that's the best solution for stopping metal vibrations. Or you can try some Noise Killer (RF product) which is supposed to be really good for trunks/hatches. First though I would try to pinpoint where the rattling is coming from, you may or may not need dynamat or similar products if you can stop it with other things. For instance, trunk latches are notorious for rattling, so put a piece of electrical tape around the "u" part of it to stop the metal to metal vibrations. If you have plastic panels in the trunk you can either remove them (best option), or do anything you can to keep them from vibrating against the metal, which means you could fix the problem by just cramming tape, foam, rubber, etc. between the plastic and the metal. Little fixes here and there can significantly stop the rattling. For instance, I heard that if you stuff polyfill between the plastic panels and the metal (while re-installing) it will keep it from rattling. If your license plate rattle then put a piece of foam behind it and then screw it down tight against it. You can use a piece of rubber foam to keep the rear-view mirror rattling down to a minimum. If the metal itself is vibrating loudly though then dynamat or some other sound deadener is the only option. There are a lot of things you can do, just try different things.

Right..

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

yea - look for the little things first. my trunk rattled like hell before. I kept contemplating what kind of deadening I wass gonna buy. Then one day I just happen to open my trunk when the radio was on and saw that the speaker wires were vibrating like hell and they were hitting each other. cause the factory wire comes out, then there's a plastic connection thing (like a cap that connects two disconnected wires) to connect that wire and the wire that's actually connected to the speaker. All I had to do was tape them out of the way of each other, and I get no rattling at all (front speakers are a different story). However, I'm only running 6x9s off the head unit. but yeah just look for the small things first before you decide to buy something.

if you want, you could prolly try some expanding foam, all you have to do is do ur basr to find the rattle and use the little tube that comes on the can of foam to get to the rattle. just remember, the stuff expands like 20 x. worked for me...

x2 dont use expanding foam. that stuff holds moisture like no other. it will rust your panels and deteriorate your speakers. use secondskin or other comparable products.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.