Ultra Linear Amp?

BallinOrBallOut
10+ year member

I'm thinking of getting a new amp for my subs. I have an okay set, could easily do better, but they pound HARD and look good. Anyways they're Dual 12" 1100 watt subs that put out 600 watts RMS at 4 ohms.

I have a Dual amp, which is awesome for what it is, that's putting out 580 watts at 4 ohms, or since I have it bridged it's doing 290 watts RMS at 4 ohms.

Time to upgrade...the amp at least. I'm thinking about getting an Ultra Linear UL1202. Anyone ever heard of it? 1X1200 watts RMS @ 4 ohms, 2X600 watts RMS @ 2 ohms, or 2x300 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.

Good choice? ANY thoughts? Will the subs hold the amp? I believe they're wired series...I'm not sure because they came already put together in a band pass box that looks like a b#$@h to open. But by them being 600 watts would that mean 600 each, or 300 each? Basically should i bridge the amp or rewire the subs in the box so that i can run 2 channels? Should I go for a smaller amp? (only cost $80 brand new)

Any help is appreciated.

Daaamn. That bad? I should probably kill myself too, huh? I'll get better subs when the rebate hits, but for now it is what it is. But thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.

Any amp that is $80 new is crap when looking at that wattage. You'd need to spend about $200 just to get an entry level decent amp

Yeah, I want to UPGRADE not sidestep. I got the whole setup for free (birthday) and WANTED some JL Audio W7s and a Rockford amp. Don't always get what we wish for, but I know for sure the amp has to go. Subs later. Amp NOW. Say what you say but I'm not even pushing them half of what they're capable, and as it stands they're pounding.

Then stay with it and don't change anything. Once you change to good quality you can't ever go back //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Right now your ears don't know any better. Might be safer that way.

I agree with that...ignorance IS bliss. Unfortunately for me I'm not ignorant as I DO know better. I used to have a set of 12" Kicker Solos in a sealed box hooked to a Clarion amp with a Kenwood X911 receiver. I dumped over $800 for the HU alone...this is when the KDC X911 first came out, years ago. Someone stole the entire setup. Then I got a set of MTX Thunders and an Orion amp. Same thing...got stolen. My whole thing is this. Wouldn't technology, advancing every day like it does, produce lower-end setups (meaning lower cost, not quality) every bit as comparable to high end stuff produced 5 or 10 years ago? I mean, isn't this how it works? So what makes the Ultra Linear "crap" because I got it for $80, which is by no means what the actual retail price was, or is it crap because we're talking dynamics. Distortion? DB level? Voltage? Please enlighten me for this is something everyone immediately says but ultimately has no REAL answer to. What makes it a garbage amp? Just curious. I can easily buy a Kenwood, Sony, or Rockford from my lil buddy at Best Buy and get a discount. But if I can pay 80 bucks is it not worth it? It sure as hell beats spending $349 on that Clarion I was looking at over at Smart Shoppers, which by the way is the retail price. The retail price on that Linear is around $275. So is it good then, since we're going on price?

I'm just asking. What makes it a bad amp? Educated responses this time, please.

I don't know, that's just what they have posted on it at the custom audio shop I was looking to buy it at. I mean, please, if you know anything about it let me know. It's not hard to believe a 1200 watt RMS amp would cost $275, but that's just me thinking out loud. I do know that the Ultra Linear website is disabled...perhaps they went out of business. I read somewhere they're creating a new product line??? Perhaps this is the reason the website is down??? Who knows. I mean the guy at the shop hasn't lied to me yet, and that's where I got my Kickers and MTXs awhile back. I like to think he's honest, and he told me it retails for something like $275...could've been $350, I'm not POSITIVE because I was looking at about 2 dozen different amps today.

I would start with atleast an alpine M500 ( which would blow those duals in a heartbeat ) We used to carry duals where i worked, and called them boomerangs. Theyd go out the door and come right back in the other a week later blown. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

A used M500 can be had around 120$ usually, and those are strong ass amps. One cheaper brand i can vouch for is MA audio though, some of their low end mono amps actually do rated + some. They can be had new for around 100$

I think the OP fails at his own name, BallinOrBallOut:laugh: by running Dual and asking about Ultra Linear.

Ultra Linear is pretty much a lateral step from dual. Personally I would save up a little more money and buy something like a hifonics or profile.
It is pretty bad when Hifonics and Profile are considered an "improvement".

*shivers*

ohhhh god I never want to hear UltraLiener again

I had the SAME amp you have. I had 2 Kicker CVR's, and the amp blew.

It kept cutting out and was just complete crap.

You can buy it and use it as a paperweight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just give it some time, save up money, and buy yourself a quality system instead of a cheap one today. It's worth the extra week or so. Dont mess with hiphonics or ultraliener for a good system.

Whats wrong with ultraliener, is that i would rather power my subs with an 100w ICE'D audio amp from WalMart, with little diamons around it. Lienar cuts out when bass hits, and blows fuses when really low bass hits. It wasnt jsut the amp, because a friend has the same amp, and its **** too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.