understanding ohms?

Participant count
  • Participant list
To keep it simple, the voice coils on your sub have a dc resistance, which is measured in Ohms. When wiring the subs, the voice coils could be thought of as individual resistors.

When resistors are wired in series, or head to tail, their values are added together. For instance, two 1 Ohm resistors in series is equal to 2 Ohms.

When resistors are wired in parallel, or head to head and tail to tail, and they all have equal resistance, you just take the value of one (in your case 4 Ohms) and divide by the number of resistors in parallel. (dual 4 Ohm vc's in parallel equals 2 Ohms, or 4 / 2 = 2 )

Your L7's voice coils are wired in parallel, so you could think of it as a single 2 Ohm load. If you think of it as a single 2 Ohm voice coil (think of it as a resistor), you could wire two subs in series or parallel. Again, series would be 2 + 2 = 4 Ohms. Parallel would be 2 / 2 = 1 Ohm.

To wire these like that, refer to JL's website or bcae1.com.

So anyways, you're looking for an amp that will do the amount of power you need at 1 Ohm or 4 Ohm. You'll have much more amp choices for your power at 1 Ohm. It's always nice to have some extra power above what you need, so I'd look for an amp that does around 2000 W @ 1 Ohm.

Hope you understood all of that. I tried to make it as simple as possible.

thanks man, that explains a lot. i figured out most of what i needed to know today, i looked at the JL site and it helped a lot, now i just need to buy another 4 ohm L7, and both subs parallel to an amp that puts out about 2000 watts at 1 ohm=]

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.