What amp for Dual Alpine Type S? Please help

Nightstrife408
10+ year member

USA
Hello I recently bought a subwoofer. I need help choosing an amp for it. What I have a sealed box with dual 12'' alpine type s. The model number is SWS-1243D and it says 4 ohm + 4ohm.

I know I am suppose to get another amp that is 300 RMS to match the subwoofers but I am currently confused about the ohms and the wiring.

Which amp should I get? Or better yet what specs within an amp should I be looking for? Also if it isnt too much trouble, may I ask for suggestions on what wiring to buy? Sorry I am new to setting up car audio DIY. I currently use a Sony Xplod for the head unit if that matters for anything.

Any help would be much appreciated thank you!!!

Hello I recently bought a subwoofer. I need help choosing an amp for it. What I have a sealed box with dual 12'' alpine type s. The model number is SWS-1243D and it says 4 ohm + 4ohm.
I know I am suppose to get another amp that is 300 RMS to match the subwoofers but I am currently confused about the ohms and the wiring.

Which amp should I get? Or better yet what specs within an amp should I be looking for? Also if it isnt too much trouble, may I ask for suggestions on what wiring to buy? Sorry I am new to setting up car audio DIY. I currently use a Sony Xplod for the head unit if that matters for anything.

Any help would be much appreciated thank you!!!
So your sub can take roughly between 250-350w @ 4ohm daily. As for the wiring 4 gauge will be fine for hooking up the amp and using 12 gauge to hook up the sub to the amp will be ideal. Lastly what is your budget on this amp? I have a few options and also have wiring available as well. Hope this helps!

Ideally you would want to run roughly the max RMS rated for the sub to each one so 300 to each. There are tons owiring diagrams, personally I've always used the ones on Crutchfield's website. Max the ohms to the amount of channel that your amp will have. Also you want to make sure you don't get an amp that is rated for exactly 600w because if you ever decide to thump it for hours on end it'll be straining the amps ability. A decent starting point I would say would be anything about 800w I would personally do a 1000 or so because they're quite prevalent. You would just turn the gain a ways down or actually calculate the amount of watts you want.

As far as wiring goes there are hundreds of threads of people recommending wiring kits or where to start. It depends on your budget and your future plans. If you want to run 10kw in the future don't get a 4 gauge wiring kit or you'll need to replace it soon if you plan on sticking under 2000w or so on that one power line then a four gauge kit would be fine. If you're on a small budget then even an 8 gauge might work but I would personally stay away from that.

And one more thing, check the classifieds before you buy anything retail, the guys on here get rid of some prime stuff and you can score it at killer prices if you're patient. Good luck and I hope that at least gave you some background...

Thank you so much for the responses!

Well Im not looking for tremendous bass or anything. I just want to be able to use my subs are optimal conditions. Also my budget is around 100$ for the amp but cheaper is always better. Im pretty sure that in the future I wont be wanting to go higher in power to produce more bass as my car is a celica and the trunk is very spacious enough to produce bass. Also thank you for your help about the wiring. Im still not quite sure which wiring I should do.

Thank you so much for the responses!
Well Im not looking for tremendous bass or anything. I just want to be able to use my subs are optimal conditions. Also my budget is around 100$ for the amp but cheaper is always better. Im pretty sure that in the future I wont be wanting to go higher in power to produce more bass as my car is a celica and the trunk is very spacious enough to produce bass. Also thank you for your help about the wiring. Im still not quite sure which wiring I should do.
Look into a Audio pipe APSM amp on that budget and look at a knukoncepts OFC 4 gauge kit for wiring...

Would that amp be good? ive never heard of that brand. Just want the best amp I can get for my budget. Also should i just use 4 gauge wiring sll around or should i do what Vertex Audio said and do 4 gauge for hooking up the amp and using 12 gauge to hook up the sub to the amp?

Also im still unsure about all this ohms and stuff. Like should i be wiring a mono or 2 channel or what? I dont understand these concepts sorry lol.

like would this http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Kac-8105D-1000-Watt-Class-Amplifier/dp/B0038FHHHS/ref=pd_sim_e_8

be able to power my subs fine? it says 300 x 1 @ 4_ but not quite sure if it means it can only power 1 sub for 300 rms...? please if anyone can clarify or point me into an amp with links that would be awesome and much appreciated.

I don't have much technical advice, but I can provide personal experience.

I had 2 12" Alpine Type S subs (the older version - silver w/ blue logo) on a American Legacy LA2060 amp for over 4 years and it pounded. Sealed box. Never got half way up on the gain, never over heated, never once had an issue. I'm seeing these amps for about $135 online.

I got 1 4sale
how much are you asking for and would it work for my setup?

also from what ive researched would that mean i would need an amp that puts out 600 rms because each sub needs 300 rms? and the mp would then need to also be 2 ohm because both the subs run at 4 ohm?

so a 600 x 1 @ 2 ohm amp?

how much are you asking for and would it work for my setup?

also from what ive researched would that mean i would need an amp that puts out 600 rms because each sub needs 300 rms? and the mp would then need to also be 2 ohm because both the subs run at 4 ohm?

so a 600 x 1 @ 2 ohm amp?
$120 Shipped

2 dual voice coil 4 ohm subs wired in parallel has a final load of 1 ohm, so you need an amp that will put out 600w RMS at 1 ohm. You can always get something slightly bigger and turn down the gain. Look for used equipment.

2-DVC-4-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

2 dual voice coil 4 ohm subs wired in parallel has a final load of 1 ohm, so you need an amp that will put out 600w RMS at 1 ohm. You can always get something slightly bigger and turn down the gain. Look for used equipment.
2-DVC-4-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg
I was just about to say that. Lol beat me to it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.