what kind of amp to power 2-3 DD 1508's?!?

memphis_vette
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Redding, CA
hey guys i will be getting some funds in for my next audio build here in a few days. i sold the re mx 15 awhile ago and need something to replace it. im looking to get 2 or 3 DD 1508's. im looking to go ported. i have about 500 to spend on an amplifier. which one should i go with and how much watts should i throw to these 8's. i would like a nice amp that is very efficient. i was thinking a SAZ but what others could i use?

thx

What voice coil config are you planning on going with? I have three SVC 4 ohm 1508s, and thus far, ONE has been more than enough in my vehicle with nearly 1,000 watts RMS from a 25 to Life Punch 150. One of these days I will run a pair powered by an older, 2 ohm stable, Power 1000bd.

ya im over having my system being just loud. i had a re mx 15 at 1600 rms and so now i want a nice sounding system that gets loud if i want it to. i think i will just get 2 that way i can get a nice amp to power them. i am buying 2 DD 1508's dual 4 ohm with carbon fiber center caps for 360 shipped. so if you say 800-900 a piece.i was looking at the SAZ 2000 sounds perfect for this setup. but what other kinds of amps are nice. i currently have a zapco 500.2

I'm not sure what the Zapco's specs are but I think the Sundown 2000d would be perfect for the pair.

ya im over having my system being just loud. i had a re mx 15 at 1600 rms and so now i want a nice sounding system that gets loud if i want it to. i think i will just get 2 that way i can get a nice amp to power them. i am buying 2 DD 1508's dual 4 ohm with carbon fiber center caps for 360 shipped. so if you say 800-900 a piece.i was looking at the SAZ 2000 sounds perfect for this setup. but what other kinds of amps are nice. i currently have a zapco 500.2
I think you will be SURPRISED by the amount of output a pair of those 8s can provide in 2 cubic feet tuned to 35 Hz. The DD guys told me I could knock that enclosure down to 1.5 cubic feet for a pair, BUT, I had issues with running a 1010 in 1 cubic foot tuned to 35 Hz. The 1010 played pretty loud, but it didn't dig as deep as it should have for a 10. One baffle and 1508 later, I had much DEEPER bass from the same enclosure!

One last thing.... With nearly 1,000 watts RMS available per 8, you may want to look into a loading wall in front of them.

A loading surface placed about 2" away from the subwoofer cones to maintain pressure on them so they don't unload. I'd try it without a loading wall first, but recommend keeping the option open if you experience the subwoofers unloading (bottoming out) at high volume.

If you want for a nice sound quality why go with the 1508s? Seems pretty oxymoron right there.
What makes you think it is not capable of being used for "Sound Quality" purposes? I am trying to remember the name of the guy on another forum who competes with a Miata in IASCA SQ classes and was using a 1508 as his subwoofer... Oh well, I can't remember who it is at the moment...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.