Who said a box NEEDS Nails???

yep, clamps

I like to router the edges of boxes, countersink speakers, sand them smooth and paint them

I only use screws when I can't get a clamp on it, but I'm usually not in a big hurry when I'm building

when you tear apart a joint after the wood glue has dried, the MDF comes rips the MDF apart, it really bonds to the wood

so if i use gorrilla glue will i still need screws ?

The screws hold everything together while the glue is drying. But if you go to all the trouble to predrill and countersink. You might as well leave them in. it won't hurt anything. But the glue does the holding together once it's dry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Jumped on it without the last piece. it's FINE!!!! Gonna Bondo it then spray paint it.

Since i bought a drill today, i put some screws in. Like ere 2 inches.

PICS SOON!

If it's mdf you don't really need the bondo. I usually just use a high build primer. A heluva lot less sanding involved. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

2" is overkill? Never. If you want overkill...

Extra Strenghth liquid nail at all seams, (properly cured).

toenailed at every corner (including supports)

Screws every 3 Inches

2 layers fiberglass around entire box

(I reallllly didnt want to deal with flexing)

Actually the easiest and cheapest to use is Killz stain blocker. Let it dry thouroughly then sand it smooth. Then give it another coat and repeat the sanding. When you get it as smooth as a babies butt. Shoot a couple layers of regular automotive primer on it. You may need to wet sand lightly bewteen coats of primer with some 500 grit. THen paint //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i bet it would be fine.

See my box was a wedge box, if it was a regular square box, it would have more structural integrity.

But with the angle on my box, i'm surprise it took my force.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.