Why the hype for old school amps?

Many old school items were just overbuilt. They went the extra mile that in reality didn't make much real world difference. They just did it to flex their engineering prowess. This made cost of production high though. Old school phoenix gold was so overbuilt it was almost silly.

You can still get some newer amps that are made the same way, but be prepared to spend $$$$, the old ones even hold their value well.

You can still get some newer amps that are made the same way, but be prepared to spend $$$$, the old ones even hold their value well.
Yes, there are a select few companies that build this way, Tru and Zapco just to name 2 off my head. It is amazing how well the old ones keep their value. Even the old Power1000 by RF commands over 1k on Ebay. It is almost sickening.

I'm not sure about holding the value part.....I've seen a couple of Xtant 4180c going for the 150-200 range. I paid in the 800.00 range for mine in 96...and wouldn't think of selling it for that kind of money.....unfortunately it's not going to have the power to run the Pro-Fi Kicks when I get them, so I'll just put it off in the closet somewhere, and dig it out from time to time to enjoy it's beauty!

Regards Sonny

I've been thinking about putting the Hifonics Isis in my signature on Ebay...I figure it should bring about $300....I dunno...I bought it new in 92 for $800....
That was the competition amp to have back in the 90's. I wanted one bad, but I ran a ppi pro mos 50 instead. The audio shop I was dealing with had the pro mos in stock. Nice amp buy the way.

That was the competition amp to have back in the 90's. I wanted one bad, but I ran a ppi pro mos 50 instead. The audio shop I was dealing with had the pro mos in stock. Nice amp buy the way.
Thanks...I use to run a pair of MTX Terminator 225's back in the day....Then I went with MTX Terminator 250 with a massive passive crossover network...The Terminators were pretty much the same amp as the PPI Pro Mos....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif But gotta love the old PPI art series //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Man, I loved the Pro Mos!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ........great amps. I ran PPI for years before the Xtant. IN my truck I had an A404 Bridged on 2 JL 10's in a JL Stealth box, and a A600 on 3 way Quarts in the doors. Sounded pretty good for a little Mazda truck.

Regards Sonny

I'm not sure about holding the value part.....I've seen a couple of Xtant 4180c going for the 150-200 range. I paid in the 800.00 range for mine in 96...and wouldn't think of selling it for that kind of money.....unfortunately it's not going to have the power to run the Pro-Fi Kicks when I get them, so I'll just put it off in the closet somewhere, and dig it out from time to time to enjoy it's beauty!Regards Sonny
I am talking about serious models from the infancy days. To me old school stops at around 92. Companies who made great products after that weren't "founders".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.